The miles, sigh...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BostonTanker, May 28, 2016.

1. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Sitting again. 2 weeks back to back at 2k or less miles. Needed to stay closers to home, so they've kept me mostly in the northeast. All I've done is sit. I dunno how much longer I can take it. How's the miles where you're at?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thefallenone

Thefallenone Bobtail Member

May 25, 2016
    You with Schneider Bulk? I'm right there with ya man. 1032mi last week.

BostonTanker Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Well. Seems you recognize at least part of the reason. You can't need to be home in a week or two and expect anything great to happen in terms of long freight.

At least they are keeping your home time needs in consideration. That's something that a driver has to fight for at other places.

5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    3k + again. I'd gladly meet you in the middle. :)

Feast or famine.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  6. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    No lol

7. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    My home time needs are still 21 days out. Just keep my east of Mississippi in case of emergency. Plenty of room to run

mabrams82 and horsecrazychic22 Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't think you need to think about home time so quickly.

To be home is to lose momentum on your mileage. If a company can understand you are "Deployed" with the Rig for 6 weeks or even 6 months straight they will put you to work and your wallet will aboundeth in dollars.

When you are on short miles, think of it as time to shower, clean up, disinfect the cab, do laundry etc All the usual housework (And spouses think we never do...) so that when the load does come in you wont have time for that. And ... examine the area you are in for oppertunities to take a few hours down time visiting a museum or some other attraction that interests you. I used to be crazy at Polk City Florida because it was both a quiet place to park, a good eating place and a aviation musuem equal to the Smithsonian. Easy to pass the time waiting for a load there.

9. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Unfortunately they dumped me outside buffalo, and with sub par paychecks... no extra money to play. Last 2 weeks were $450 and $500 after taxes. Middle of month is my bill cycle. I was out for 2 months straight and only had one $1k + week. No point to staying out that long. Looking at going home and going local. I can make more driving a non cdl truck and be home every night. Shows you where these otr companies are on pay

horsecrazychic22 and KillingTime Thank this.
  10. Joews

Joews Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2014
    3000 miles this week at .57 cpm, how's that one song go? Life's been good.

11. Thefallenone

Thefallenone Bobtail Member

May 25, 2016
    @BostonTanker do you mind if I ask what company you're working for? I'm looking right now and don't want to end up in the same situation in a different truck.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.