The more I think about it ... (OTR)

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Jbeltran805, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Jbeltran805

Jbeltran805 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2016
    I seriously don't know how you guys do it , I think about it and a lot and I will never ever do otr (I know never say never) but I am being serious ... I feel like that's torture , like you're away from everything. I am young , I am a very social person ... I love going out meeting new people , I'm always with my girlfriend somewhere . So there's no way in hell I would do otr , when I got into trucking school my goal was and STILL is only local and regional if I have to . But with that said salute to all you otr drivers !!! You guys are crazy lol

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's why those who know, say it (OTR) isn't for everybody and if it's not for you, stay the hell away from it. And when in doubt, stay local or perhaps regional or away from trucking altogether.

But for some of us, 48 State OTR is good fit and for others, they struggle through. I've seen most of the beautiful and the ugly of what this nation has to offer in terms of scenery and experience, I've seen it in all the seasons, but every week, there is still something new to behold.

The key to OTR is if you're going to do it, do it right. Work with a carrier who runs coast to coast and border to border and everything in between, year around. That way, you never get burnt out on the same routes/scenery, and every once in a while you will likely run a road you have never ran before to add to your personal "Ultimate USA Tour" photo album.

agent13 and tman78 Thank this.
  4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Otr is perfect for the loner type and people who dont have a wife at home, or kids. When i did otr i took my wife with me and we had lots of adventure. Sometimes i miss it.

agent13 and pattyj Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I could care less about my family in the day back then so trucking was a good fit for me over the road. You can argue that the truck counter and groups of drivers talking was my family for better or worse when I learn new things and hear stories. It's not that worth it for me to dig back and describe my own situation.

The Entire USA was my home and I enjoyed all of it. Even today after almost 20 years off the road I feel the pull to get back on and travel again. I will do that again towards the end of life with my own issues before they get too bad. But not with a big truck. To go into say Idaho is just as easy as going next door to say... Dallas. Takes a couple nights. Two to three nights to anywhere east and one or two more extra for anywhere west. Easy. I don't run days due to the traffic issues and so forth with the exception of the Red River along Texas and Oklahoma becuase loose steer has same color as pavement and people die hitting them at night.

You will meet many kinds, in fact all kinds from the bad, ugly to the good ones out there. Not everyone is going to be social. Lord knows there are times Im not.

agent13 and rachi Thank this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I stuck to weekends home when I was married and in the prime of my life.
    Now I'm single , kids are grown .
    I no longer have a whiney Catholic prima Donna wife to make happy .
    Now it's all about me and what I want to do ...when I want to do it !

agent13, rachi and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I liked OTR but after awhile the thing that got to me was constantly waking up and having a delivery appointment looming. I know it sounds dumb, but one thing I like now is when I wake up that's not hanging over me anymore. Hard to fully enjoy it at times because after all, it's your job and you need too do it well.

x1Heavy and bzinger Thank this.
  8. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    That's why I went to flatbed lol

FredZeppelin77 Thanks this.
  9. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I was always flatbed when I was OTR. Just happened that the company always set appointments. And would never pre plan you so you had no idea where you were headed.

10. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Ahhh I get it ...i set my own appointments .

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  11. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I definitely wouldn't recommend this lifestyle to anyone married or young kids !
    But after years of night line haul , food service work and beating my ### from Omaha to NYC and back
    This is my time !

rachi and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.