the new app

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Luse, May 11, 2015.

1. Iceman1984

Iceman1984 Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I haven't signed up for that yet...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    Shows it like the Qualcomm everything

4. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I tried the scan function and with a note 4 phone which has a good camera the txt looked like crap. I do however like that you can complain on the feedback app, reading the reviews by other drivers is a good laugh.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Can you change the quality of the pictures in the Settings? A higher resolution might give better results.

I was wondering about that feature.
    If it works well enough I might change to a smart phone just to use that app.

Also, are you viewing the picture on the phone, or a larger screen?

6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    And why I am reluctant to install the app ... It's pretty much a standard feature on all apps now to track you where your location - well the phones location - as well as any other app you may be using.

Bottom line, if you think an in cab camera is intrusive and Swift might abuse it ... let them into your phone have the keys to your life.

As for scanning. I expect to be no more effective than the kiosk. The back office system do not track anything scanned into a kiosk, If Swift loses it you have to rescan. With Transflo you can access any of your scans with the tracking number on your receipt. More than once I've had Swift claim they didn't receive something and I could pull it up on Transflo and say oh yes you did and they would then retrieve it form Transflo themselves ... with the kiosk, it was, oh well, we didn't get it and you scan receipt means nothing.

7. fairshake

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Well its not the photo, the photos are excellent. The app just seems to pull the txt out of the photo and in doing so it pixelates the txt.

8. fairshake

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Also wondering why in the help video the driver is taking photo of a trip sheet when the app makes a trip sheet using Information from load info you select.

9. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Does it really do that?
    Are you sure about that, or just guessing?

The trip sheets have a unique bar code, which is why we can't simply make copies or use the same one over and over again. Does the app generate a new bar code each time?

10. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Then the app is recompressing the image to a lower quality.

It does not 'pull the text out of the photo', it simply transmits an image. That is what TransFlo does, as well as a kiosk terminal scanner.
    There is no OCR (Optical Character Recognition) involved in the process.
    It scans an image into a .JPG format (or .PNG or whatever) at whatever resolution the scanner is set for.

Using the app creates a middleman in the process, that might degrade the quality of that image.
    So now I'm wondering how many scans might not get processed because of the degradation.

sisterannie Thanks this.
  11. fairshake

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Yes you do not need a trip sheet it is written on the app highlighted in red not to use a written trip sheet. As far as the photos, the visual copy is probably the lowest possible setting the app creates. I've scanned a few with tack sharp images and the copy is "read able" about 50%. Just a horrible conversion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.