The stress level in trucking

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by 23YearoldTrucker, Jan 19, 2016.

1. 23YearoldTrucker

23YearoldTrucker Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am a cdl A holder but I drive a city bus class b vehicle. Ive been driving for a little over 2 years now and it is stressful ! I worry about not damaging the bus, passengers safety and not hitting anyone. Just wondering if truck driving is stressful too ? Is it more stressful then driving a bus or do you think it's less stressful.

What is your stress level like in trucking?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Only stress I have is usually in big cities around rush hour because of all the stupid people out on the road. Beyond that it's pretty relaxing otr. If you can handle driving a bus like that with the stress, you'll be much happier and with a lot less stress driving otr.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  4. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    The truth is it comes down to stress management. I'm very good at remaining relaxed and calm. And in situations others stress over I just focus more on the situation. That being said, dangerous weather and ultra congested traffic are big stressors. But for me personally, its when I get tired.

Normally I can burn 14hrs with11 driving, without issue. But from time to time, the energy just isn't there, that's when I start feeling the stress, that's also when I pull over and take a nap.

thejackal Thanks this.
  5. hunted

hunted Medium Load Member

I feel for you guys that drive city bus. Truck driving is stressful at times but, your job is more stressful. You have to deal with the unruly public on the bus giving you a hard time. It has to be a slow tedious day everyday. That's not for me no way

bzinger and Badmon Thank this.
  6. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    My freight doesn't talk back. Lol.

7. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

A two part answer to the OP's two posts. I'm good at finding b jobs so my job is not stressful at all. Traffic bring it on!

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Stress is one thing ... yes, stress exists for all types of truck drivers, OTR, local and everything in between, on all sorts of different levels, at different aspects of the job.

However, dealing with fatigue is a completely different animal for the scheduled bus driver as opposed to a truck driver who can pull over whenever fatigue becomes strongly apparent, no matter.

9. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Only drove OTR 3 years but remember two high stress situations. My first load ever I was sent to Hunts Point Market in the Bronx NYC! There was construction and a reroute of traffic and it was super stressful.

Next worse situation was coming from Denver I loaded a full load of Potatoes which are crazy heavy by the way. So its now about 3:00am passing into New Mexico and the #### Elk were everywhere! Icy roads couldnt slow fast and once there was like 15 other side of a hill and even doing only 35-40 they were right there and Magically parted out of the road. I was pretty awake after that to say the least

10. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    I did NYC a lot for about a year in a box truck. Can barely imagine doing that crap in a tractor trailer, let alone it being the very first load!! I'd love the hear the backstory on that one

11. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Actually once you learn where you are permitted to drive and not its not bad. I did LTL furniture loads from ATL and was up there every two weeks usually sux drops

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.