Thinking about Roehl

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by tnx3102, Feb 12, 2013.

1. tnx3102

tnx3102 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I just received my CDL license through Diesel Driving School in Sun Prairie, WI. Ive been looking for local driving for the past month and haven't found anything that interest me or is interested in me. The reason why i wanted local is because my wife is pregnant and due in April. I don't want to miss my sons birth. But anyways, local jobs of course always need experience over the road.

My questions:
    1)How does the 7on7off days work?
    2)For those in my area that run regional, what state do you run to most of the time?
    3)What is the best schedule for home time given i'm a new driver?
    4)What is average pay starting for van/flat bed?
    5)What are he things you like or dislike driving for Roehl?
    6)Would you rather drive van or flatbed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    Ive heard good things about Roehl,flatbed will generaly pay more, being a new driver can be a disadvantage for home time but if tell them from the start about expecting a baby any good reputable company will try hard to keep you close to home for that.Good Luck

4. milkman83

milkman83 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Syracuse, NY
    If you want to go to Roehl, you'd better get on it, and quick. Roehl was my first choice out of school, and like you, I tried to get something local but wasn't able to. I spent about a month applying to local companies and got a few interviews, but wasn't hired. When I tried to schedule an orientation date with Roehl, I was told that they have a 60-day limit between the end of driving school and the start of orientation, and I wouldn't be able to make it. That was a big bummer, for sure. They may have changed that 60-day rule, but I would call and make sure. If Roehl really is where you want to start driving, I'd be on the phone with a recruiter today. Good luck.

5. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Roehl has some new regional runs in the Wisconsin area that you might want to check into. Talk with recruting and let them know that you are soon to be a new dad. Since you have your CDL through Sun Prairie, Roehl will be familiar with the schooling. You will need to go through orientation for one week in Marshfield and then on the road with a trainer for a week. After that you will be issued your own truck.

My questions:
    1)How does the 7on7off days work? You share the truck with another driver. You drive 7 days, come home and the other driver then goes out for his 7 days. It is a part time job.

2)For those in my area that run regional, what state do you run to most of the time? There is the Dairyland regional and Midwest regional. Recruiter can give you more info on the regional available.

3)What is the best schedule for home time given i'm a new driver? Not sure on regional home time. OTR is 11 days out and 3 days home, 18 out and 4 days home. There are other options but again check with a recruiter.

4)What is average pay starting for van/flat bed? Roehl has a new pay schedule that just started this year. Van has a different pay than flat bed. Don't know what level you would start with.

5)What are he things you like or dislike driving for Roehl? Read up on previous posts on the web site. Much has been written on good and bad aspect.

6)Would you rather drive van or flatbed? I like van. Less work. Flat bed can be a lot of extra work with tarping. However. many like the physical exercise that flat bedding gives.

Bigdubber Thanks this.
  6. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    Regional hometime is typically every weekend, though often only for a 34 hour reset.

Joe

7. tnx3102

tnx3102 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Well i called my recruiter and asked her about the difference between dairy land regional and Midwest regional. There's a big difference in both. Midwest regional starts at .33 per mile and driving will be all around the center of the country including Canada. As for Dairyland/Intermodel Regional, its driving for around the 3 states...Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. Pay starts at .28 a mile with bonuses. Average miles are stated to be 2100-2400 per week with 34-48 hrs home time mostly weekend and occasional home time during the week depending on my location. As i stated above that i have a baby on the way, i chose the Inter model Regional. I start training in Appleton on February 25. I hope all goes well...

Anyone drive the dairy land or inter model regional? Wondering what the ups and downs are. Thanks

nedayboyz and Bigdubber Thank this.
  8. Bigdubber

Bigdubber Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Colchester, VT
    Congrats! on your "start training"... (and of coarse soon to be proud Daddy!) Hope all works out well for you.

If ya can squeeze in the time, keep "us" informed of your progress (it is so helpful hearing from y'all that are starting out, etc.)

God bless. ~Bigdubber

9. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Contrats on your decision. It's a big one with a little one on the way.

10. Fred the trucker

Fred the trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Hi
    It might be too late for this, I dont know if you already made the choice, keep in mind that 7/7 your pay check is only 1/2 because you spit it for 2 weeks. They also have 7/3 I think, and that would give you alot better pay check. You will hear that flatbed pays better, but if you take the time that it takes to tarp, and then look at how many miles you could drive in that time the pay is about the same. One thing I cant get over is paying for tolls yes they pay you back but as far as I see it ( I had a construction business ) that would be like me telling my employees that they would have to pay for material and I would pay them back at the end of the job. I am new to trucking myself and some things that the old timers take for granted just blow my mind, like lumpers, who came up with that one, any way back to your questions. One thing about 7/7 is you will get loads before any one else because you have to be back at the end of your 7 so the next guy can leave for his 7 where a guy on national has the time to wait for another load. As far as where, as far as you can drive in three days.

Bigdubber Thanks this.
  11. coopnp

coopnp Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    I'm a van driver and I disagree flatbed is higher pay plus tarping and all that lovely extra paid stuff. Van is a lower cpm and even most likely the max being 3000-3200 a week if your lucky to get, still won't be as much as flatbedder with 2300-2500 with tarping and untarping 2-3 times on top. Sometimes it's just a coil or sometimes whole trl top to bottom of ceiling tile. They pay for most tolls except certain places like fl turnpike, mackinaw bridge in MI, and either OK or KS toll road one of the two I've never been on but heard about it. Tolls we rarely go on but iPass/EZpass doesn't cover get reimbursed. Lumpers just suck period. I know I might be a lil off on flatbed pay but I def know its better for a reason. They work harder. Reefer is about the same being its only 2 cpm more.

Treefork Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.