Thoughts on Swift Transportation?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crazybread, Jul 30, 2015.

1. crazybread

crazybread Medium Load Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Want to know your guys thoughts on Swift Transportation. I am thinking about becoming a truck driver and been doing some research on it. I learn that Swift Transportation is the biggest company out there and watch many Youtube videos saying great things about them. Is this a good company to work for? Are there any recruiters that use the truckers report?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crazybread

Jul 30, 2015
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where do you live; city/state?
    There's dozens of companies to choose from that have CDL training.
    Swift has good training, but they also have driver facing cameras and sound monitoring technology inside the tractor, ie. they can hear your voice if they want. Some people are OK with that and some don't want big brother watching and listening.

5. crazybread

Jul 30, 2015
    live in Southern California I also hire that swift would hire anyone to that they are a very easy company to start with unlike prime inc.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, Prime Inc. is very strict, but it's a portion of their business model that works for them. Lots of other options in Southern California.

Earl Henderson Trucking
    Celadon
    Southern Refrigerated Transport
    Knight Transportation

7. Rick Brown

Rick Brown Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Monroe NC
    driver facing camera's? Sond monitering? Daymn!!!! Times have change for sure. When I worked for the the going technology was a disposible camera in case you had an accident, and a tattle tale that you could easily disable.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. michaelbunt

michaelbunt Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Ragland, Al
    I have friends who worked for swift, swift treats there drivers like crap from what I've heard, they have a horrible reputation, and there are better companies to start with who won't ruin you to trucking. Also don't go through a trucking company to get your cdl, then they have you by the you know what's, go through a TDI, then you atleast can choose who to work for and have options. That's what I did three years ago, went to star transport out of Morton Illinois hated them they treated me like crap, but stayed and paid off my cdl school in three months I bought a truck and been an owner operator ever since, given it was HARD, and I wouldn't recommend buying a truck right off the bat like I did, but it worked for me, now I own three trucks and I make really good money. You just have to decide where you want to be in three years? A company driver who maybe builds up some experience, but if you box jockey your company can replace you at the drop of a hat, there's always some fool who wants to learn to drive and get out here, or an owner operator who can take time off when you want, pick your own loads, and always find work? Given I'd stay with a company a year before you buy a truck, but don't listen to a lot of people who say buy new, don't fall for lease purchase programs either, your first year save about 9 grand and that will buy you a running truck with a sleeper, that's what I did, paid 9 thousand for a 99 freightliner century class and it lasted me three years, paid for itself so many times its ridiculous, now I own it still, I have a 2008 Volvo I paid a lot more money for, and Ive been rebuilding an old fld for about two years on the side.
    Yeah it was a challenge, but that's why leasing to the right company that will help you when you ask, and that has good freight options is so important..

akfisher, speedyk and freightwipper Thank this.
  9. Kry0n

Kry0n Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I currently drive for Swift. No camera or listening device in my 2015 Freightliner. Been here for 4 months.

It's going to take them while to get their entire fleet with them. As a new driver your going to get an older truck. One without these devices installed. He'll mine is a 2015 and not installed on mine. Will take a year or so for them to have in all trucks.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. crazybread

Jul 30, 2015
    How do u like working at swift so far? Is it true that what most people say that swift is a very bad company to work for?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.