Time on pretrip?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by hazmatwife, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    DOT regulations are Federal, not State specific.

The regulation on Pre-trips is:
    I know of nowhere that says how long a pre-trip should take. But, if you check all the items you are supposed to (more than just a tire thump), it will take a few minutes.

As far as flagging short stops (less than 15 minutes), here is FMCSA's interpretation:
    Long story short, on pre-trips:
    - no minimum time specified
    - it is on-duty time (change of status from off-duty or driving)
    - show the actual time it took
    - if it is less than 15 min show the minutes in the remarks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Well.....I was asking YOU to show me ANY state regs where it shows you have to have a minimum amount of time for pre and post trips...........you are saying the info will be on each state's website and I can't find any info and you wont or cant provide a link. I've contacted Missouri Dot and they say there is no time limit or minimum and I am sure 49 other states will say the same thing. It's all Federal and there is no time limits.

4. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    Opinions of a lawyer....the next one you find may tell you that they don't feel you can properly do a pre-trip in 2 hours. I mean after all it takes atleast that long for a DOT inspection around here.

And the DOT inspection covers all the same thing that you should have found on your post trip inspection the night before right?

5. Typhoid36

Typhoid36 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Lawyers are the ones making these laws and deciphering them in court. Their opinion matters more than the opinion of the LEO issuing the violation. I do agree with the motion that even 15 minutes is not enough time to conduct a proper pre and post trip. It takes at least a hour to thoroughly inspect the truck and cargo.

6. MNoutkast

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    Lobbyists and politicians make these laws not lawyers. And the opinion of a lawyer doesn't matter one bit. It is the opinion of the Juror that makes a difference. Just because some lawyer gave you advice doesn't make you not liable.

7. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    windsmith Thanks this.
  8. MNoutkast

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    I disagree, DOT regulations apply only to trucks involved in Interstate commerce. State regulations are for Intrastate operations.

Directly from the FMCSA website:

And then farther down that page:

Typhoid36 Thanks this.
  9. exdriver

exdriver Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2012
    This is what I found on the State of Maryland's MV website:

MARYLAND COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
    PRE-TRIP INSPECTION GUIDE
    This guide has four sections:
    • Engine Compartment
    • In-Cab Checks
    • Outside of Vehicle
    • Air Brake Test
    Applicants may conduct the pre-trip inspection in any order they choose. It is suggested that the inspection be conducted in the order listed above.
    It is not necessary to touch any item when pointing it out or get under the vehicle. You must be able to identify and describe the items on this checklist.
    This guide is made available to Agents and applicants. It may not be used by applicants during the pre-trip inspection.

Pre-trip inspections will be timed and must be completed in the time allowed based on class of license being obtained.

Class A, B & C - 45 minutes

Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification.
    DL

10. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    So the only thing that says is you should be able to do it faster than 45 minutes.
    If you drive a 16 foot 6 wheel box truck you should be able to do a pre/post trip in 10 minutes. If you are starting your day pulling your 18 axle RGN with 4 jeeps and a push truck, 45 minutes may be questionable. DOT considers those variables.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.