Tire Max Load and GAWR...

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Whoisbigman, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Whoisbigman

Whoisbigman Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2023
    Looking for help. If this is the wrong place, please redirect me. I drive a big red fire truck. 8 new tires placed on rear today made me look around at fronts. Tires say Max load 11,400 each... 22,800 total. Door sticker says GAWR front is 24,000 lbs? Are these tires adequate?

NightWind Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    And I am not familiar with GAWR....
    GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.
    Can you clarify that?

4. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I'll go ahead and comment on your question pending a confirmation on GAWR.

The big factor here is what weight you actually have on the steer axles. If the max actual weight on the steers is less than 22,800, then your safe... its adequate.
    Just because its RATED for that much weight, doesn't mean you need to outfit for that much weight.

Example: two carriers have the same spec'd trucks. One is carrying steel, the other is carrying styro-foam.
    Though both trucks are RATED for the same weight, doesn't mean they require the same equipment/tires etc.

You need to outfit your truck including personnel & take it to the scales & weigh it. That will tell you what weight you have & what equipment/tires you need.
    Reference the steer axle weight.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  5. Whoisbigman

Nov 28, 2023
  6. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Thats maximum axle weight.
    How much weight is actually on the axel is what is going to determine if the tires are safe.
    Might want to visit your local scale

7. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I gotta say, thats a new one on me...

I'm now guessing Gross Axle Weight Rating.... I just never seen that I guess.

However, my post in #3 stands..

Good luck...

8. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    So......with FOUR tires on each axle, that's 11,400x4=45,600, right??? How much weight could a firetruck actually be loading onto an axle??

Generally, unless you have an overweight permit, the most weight you're allowed on a TANDEM (that's BOTH axles, all EIGHT tires) is 34,000 lbs, anyway....

9. Ban1

Ban1 Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2023
    The only actual way to know is to load the truck to max weight. Then scale it. I personally would worry about it. Even if you are at 24,000. That’s only 600 pounds per tire over that’s not much in the grand scheme of things.

10. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    "Gross axle weight rating" or "GAWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the load-carrying capacity of a single axle system, as measured at the tire-ground interfaces. "Gross vehicle weight rating" or "GVWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

The load index on a tire gives a numerical value for the maximum weight the tire can handle when it is inflated to its recommended pressure. Higher numbers correlate to the tire's ability to bear heavier loads. Indices start at 1, which can carry 102 pounds, and they go up to 150, which can hold up 7,385 pounds.

11. Whoisbigman

Nov 28, 2023
    This is the front... 2 tires, 11,400 each totalling 22,800 capacity of tires. GAWR is 24,000

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.