Tire size?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Umove2slow, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Umove2slow

Umove2slow Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Chicago il
    Hey guys,
    I don't haul cars but I'm curious to know what you guys run for tire size on a 22.5 wheel. Reason why I'm asking this because I'm all about being low, I drive a 07 w9 with a front air ride and I'm looking to put my 18" bumper on the ground. No I don't want to buy a 20-22" bumper lol. Another thing anybody here know the difference in height of a stock w900 front steer axle vs a car hauler axle?
    Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    The 270X70r22.5 is a popular size for steering axle. It is 3 to 4 inches lower than a 275X80R22.5, a popular tire size. Also a 295X70R225 is almost the same, so close they will run side by side if necessary. The 270X70R22.5 is usually a 16 ply or H rated tire that can carry more weight, another reason they work good on car haulers.

4. Umove2slow

Jan 28, 2014
    Chicago il
    Thanks I will look them up
    What about these sizes?
    295/60/22.5
    255/70/22.5

5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Those two are very close to the same diameter. But the 255's aren't up to holding up a steer, they're only rated ~5000#. Carhaulers normally have a 5" drop front axle, not sure what standard axles are.

6. sxdime

sxdime Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Elkton MD
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from the smaller tires.
    You will thank me when you don't tear up your hood from blowing one of them.
    295/75/22.5 or 275/80/22.5 is what you have now I'm guessing?
    Like Hammer said the "car haul" axle is like a 5 inch drop.

7. Umove2slow

Jan 28, 2014
    Chicago il
    Do you say that because smaller tires tend to blow up more often?
    Yes 295/75/22.5 that's what I have.
    Dealer can't help me unless I have a part number for the axle, anyone here with one on a 07 w900l?

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The question I have is WHY you'd want your bumper dragging on the ground? Shipper/receiver/truck stop has a speed bump and you tear it up. Break down and need a tow, you're being charged anywhere from $100 to $400 per hour, and that wrecker driver has to spend time removing the bumper...and then has to find someplace to put it while you're on the hook. Waste of both time and money. Not only that, but those tiny little tires will look ridiculous inside the wheel wells designed for "normal" tires, with a HUGE gap between the tire and fender...but I realize that having a tire "fit" inside the wheel well is a personal preference, so to each his own.

The smaller tires could be problematic due to lower weight ratings, lower speed ratings, and faster rotations at speed which causes more heat and more wear. Your tires, bearings, seals, etc. just won't last as long...leading to increased maintenance costs.

What you're trying to do makes absolutely no sense to me...going to be expensive to do, then will do nothing but increase your cost of ownership and decrease the price somebody else is willing to pay to take it off your hands. If you've got piles of money laying around, have at it. If you're building a "show truck" that won't be pulling many loads, do what you want with it. However, if it's going to be a working truck that you need to depend on to earn a paycheck, do yourself a favor and don't do what you're thinking about doing...it won't end well. Spending a bunch of money to increase your costs has never been a wise business model.

9. Umove2slow

Jan 28, 2014
    Chicago il
    Thanks for your advise. I wouldn't say I have a ton of money. I do stay local and only put between 120-180 miles per day. Also own more trucks, I'm aware of the cost of doing so to the truck, it's the price im willing pay. I also have a front air ride suspension with overinflate and planning on getting a flip up bumper kit as well. As far as building a show truck, no not really. My whole point is driving it everyday but I guess you can say im not the average guy that drives a regular truck. I have no wheel gap right now with the low pros, in fact it actually rubbs on the fender when I take tight turns so going to a smaller size tire will fix that issue.

Thanks for answering all the cons of smaller size tire I will keep that in mind.

10. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Go to the tire websites and look
    uo the loaded radius of the tires you have now and potential lower profile tires. The difference in the loaded radius is the actual drop in height you'll see. Make sure to check get at least the weight rating you have now as well.

11. Umove2slow

Jan 28, 2014
    Chicago il
    Will do
    Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.