TN DOT now I know

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, May 30, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Thought I would share this. I have read a lot of posts on here and talked to people who I know in the business about the requirements for pulling into weigh stations and keeping logs and inspections. I posted a previous thread about keeping daily driving logs and inspections. Some people thought because I was under the CDL weight limit and my combined GVWR wouldn't exceed 26,000 lbs that carriers like me don't have to do these steps and it's a waste of money.

Well I was pulled over by a TN State Trooper outside of Knoxville on Rt 40 and I thought he was gonna get me for speeding I was over my 7 mph. But no he asked me for the normal DL, Reg, and INS cards. He said I pulled you over because you went past the weigh station back there. I said Sir, I was told that if I am empty that pulling into a weigh station isn't required. His response. Any official state weigh station you pass must be entered by any vehicle displaying USDOT or MC numbers as well having a vehicle registered for hire ( commercial). He asked me for my log and inspection and began to look around my truck. He even wanted to see my FED Annual Inspection form since I had the sticker on my window.

Gotta say he was throrough but pretty cool about it. I made it back to NC and ran into a Trooper friend of mine who works Motor Carrier Enforcement. He explained to me regardless of the size and weight of your vehicle and or trailer, if you are registered as for hire in the state of NC and transport interstate you are absolutely required to have a USDOT and MC number displayed on your vehicle and keep logs. They are known as exempt logs for under 150 radius miles. However I go beyond 150 miles so I have to keep standard logs, and having inspections done will make sure the DOT police stay off your back.

As for weigh stations when I am empty it is normally ok to pass them but some states have "official" stations usually at the enterance of the state and some want you to pass through empty. But when you are loaded you must go through regardless of your vehicle type or size.

I know there will be all sorts of mixed feelings about this but in my best interest I plan to keep doing what I am doing and go through all the procedures to avoid any problems. Like I said I just wanted to share this.

Have a great Memorial Day everyone and to all you drivers out there that are serving or have served Thank You and GOD Bless

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    You were told that the inspection sheets and ifta were not required for your setup which is completely true. Nobody told you that ever bypassing weigh stations was ok(hell wouldn't it be nice though) or not keeping a log book. Apparently you didn't know that speeding in a commercial vehicle isn't a bright idea either

unloader and Dominick253 Thank this.
  4. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I know it's not the brightest idea to speed and I normally don't especially with a customer's vehicle however when you get stuck behind a Schnieder or JB Hunt driver doing 55 in a 70 mph it can be a little frustrating. As for ifta yes I know I don't for DOT however I fill it out to keep track of my fuel consumption and mileage in and out of states in hopes of planning routes more efficiantly. The inspection sheet was asked for by the trooper as well as the Federal Annual one too. Idk if he was just feeling his oats that day or going by the handbook but it was requested and I am glad I had it

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If scales are open, you hit it.

If Swift etc have slows in front of you, do your best to keep calm and work around them, there will be more of them further down the road.

Im glad you had the papers requested of you. No worries. Better to have and be happy than not.

mjd4277, Dominick253 and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Even if you are bobtailing you pull into an open weigh station.DOT at the window doesn't just see how much you weigh he's looking at your equipment and also the driver and his behavior.

mjd4277 and Dominick253 Thank this.
  7. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Pretty cool of you say this to yourself in James Earl Jonses voice...

8. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Just to clear things up not needing daily inspection sheets is not a new thing. One truck operations have not been required to have them for years.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  9. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I decided to keep them because I could keep track of the condition of my truck and relay all problems I may have to my mechanic. It has proven to be useful because I can't remember everything, such as a light out or oil changes by indicating that I can keep track. I also use them as a guide to make sure I check everything on my truck each time I leave from the trailer yard. I want to be safe when I'm driving. I am a one driver one truck business any time my truck is down I am not making money. I don't have back-ups to go to. So for me it's helpful and only takes about ten to fifteen minutes of my time each day that can prevent me from having to spend hours on the side of the road waiting for roadside service. I am not here pretending to be a "big boy" trucker or have some fantasy about it. This truck and trailer while they may not be the most ideal situation is all I have, and I have to do what I can to protect the value and conditions of them. I have been in the industry on and off for over 16 years but never owned my own equipment or had the responsibility of the equipment fall on me. Everything I do falls on me nobody else. It's a bit different than being a company driver or having a fleet to back you up.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback I do appreciate it all. Enjoy the rest of your Memorial Day.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Just curious. What are you averaging per mile all odometer miles?

11. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    An average week is about a thousand miles. I mean I bought the truck in March 2016 with 21 K on the ODOM and as of today there is 44 K that also includes some perecentage of personal trips too

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.