Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by ZaBrunski, Jul 24, 2016.

1. ZaBrunski

ZaBrunski Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2016
    i have an opportunity too drive heavy haul for another company, as a company driver. they claim to pay $3.50 a mile 3-4 trips a month, 1300-1400 round trip per. is this legit?
    i have heard of some heavy haulers making 16k+ a month as company drivers working 15-20 days a month. but have never been able to verify that as a company driver you would make that much. someone mentioned that these kinds of jobs are wildly secretive and are never advertised and only promote from within or word of mouth.

can anyone confirm or deny these claims? haven't had a chance to get home for the interview, remaining hopeful.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Some places pay salary.. Some by the mile and your pay depends on the size of the ld.
    If it has anything to do with a certain outfit from S.D. and they start with a "L" run away fast.
    Do your home work.
    Buddy of mine works for a heavy haul outfit out east. He does well and he doesn't work that hard.. Spend more time skydiving than driving most of the times. Yea he's not right in the head

thejackal Thanks this.
  4. ZaBrunski

ZaBrunski Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2016
    i just cant believe any company would pay their drivers $176,400-$235,200 a year. COMPANY drivers at that, this particular company hauls Larger then most loads. doesnt have anything to do with that particular company. just trying to figure out how legit it is. 3rd generation owned company 3 trucks, one is open and i have an in with a friend who has been driving their pilot cars for 15 years.

5. passingthru69

You may not make that much, But several company drivers I know at ATS doing towers grossed right at 100k for several years.. They are mileage plus extra pay involved. Plus break down pay. Dead head pay.
    My buddy who works for the carrier out east, just traded in his 3 year old BMW for a new Mercedes. Plus bought several more handguns for his collection.. He's lucky.. He's single.
    I catch heck for buying a used Harley, welcome to being married...

281ric Thanks this.
  6. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I'm gonna go with too good to be true.

johndeere4020 Thanks this.
  7. passingthru69

You would be surprised at what some of those guys at Barnhart crane make driving their big push pull Prime movers make.
    Plus a couple other places..
    I think Jumbo is real happy at the crane company he works for..

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You get what you pay for. When the position involves moving multi-million dollar pieces of equipment, knowing the rules and regulations for the size and weights you'll be running...with the level of risk and liability involved...would you want a $0.25/mile recent CDL school grad at the wheel? No. You want the best, because whatever money you save with lower salaries, you'll pay out 10x over in damage claims, fines, and torn up equipment.

The jobs aren't advertised, because they want the best...not the out-of-work driver who couldn't cut it at the last place he tried to work.

Bean Jr., Chewy352, Roberts450 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. ZaBrunski

ZaBrunski Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2016
    you make a valid point.

10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I worked for the same crane company as jumbo and it was/is a good job. Most of the regular crane company drivers I met were in the same wheelhouse, it varies regionally but not that extreme from my experience. They talked to me about learning to work with smpt's but didn't seem to be worth it. I made good money but I make better now. However it's nowhere near that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    passingthru69 Thanks this.
  11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    If this guy is a true friend, you can get the low down from him. If I was in your shoes, I would find some way to get home and talk to them, before they hire someone else. I realize it might be tough to jeopardize the job you now have, by forcing the home issue, but it may well be worth it.
    You can always turn it down at the interview, if it doesn't feel right. And you can always find another job if your current one doesn't appreciate you having to go home for "personal reasons."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.