Too many employers in my history

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sleddog1268, Apr 28, 2016.

1. sleddog1268

sleddog1268 Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2016
    I hope you folks have some good advice for me. I am looking for work, because my last job was a seasonal temp driving position that ended a month ago. So I'm now on the market again, and trucking companies aren't interested in me because I haven't always stayed in driving jobs long. Often times this is because the company closed a plant and several of us were laid off. And several times, I made the choice, because I wouldn't drive outside of my log books as I was told, or because the company was paying much less than what they promised. Truth is, a couple of the companies I did stay with were the ones that laid some of us off- otherwise, I really liked it there, and was planning on staying.

So I am trying to get on with some regional carriers out here in the Pacific NW, but companies like Gordon and Interstate take one look at my history and don't want to take the chance on me. I get it, but I'd really like to know how to turn this around. And in this town, there are not a lot of trucking companies to choose from, and none that allow you to run just one log book. I need to work. My kids are getting hungry. I can drive most everything, have mostly reefer experience, but have done time in dry vans, flats and tanks, too. Never late, no DUIs, only one "at fault" accident, a little over a year ago.

Any advice is very appreciated, folks. Happy trails, and I hope to see some of you soon!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Submit lots of applications and you'll get job offers.
    Try this also : www.redleafrecruiting.com

Try these :
    Carolina Logistics
    Lobos Interstate Services
    CRST
    Western Express
    Carolina Cargo
    May Trucking Company

Look at Craigslist and put in some apps there. Something will hit if you submit enough apps.

morpheus Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which city are you near; some trucking temp services might give you a chance.

5. sleddog1268

Apr 28, 2016
    I'm in Wenatchee, WA. Smack in between Seattle and Spokane. I'm in the heart of the apple packing industry and all of their warehouses, and only an hour away from I-90. But for some companies, I am still too far out of their traffic lanes to do them any good. I am thinking of calling the recruiters for outfits like Gordon and Interstate, and pleading my case directly to them over the phone, as opposed to the faceless online approach. But companies do have their policies.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    With your work history, submit online applications and then follow with a phone call. Also, knock on some doors and ask for an application and an interview. You're in a bad situation.

Have you tried Charlie's Produce?
    ACS Trucking Inc. - Cheny,WA
    Peirone Produce Co.
    MTS Freight - Spokane,WA

@sleddog1268

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  7. sleddog1268

Apr 28, 2016
    Yep, I know. 24 years of driving, but I feel like I just popped positive for drugs, or had a couple of DUIs or something. All I wanted to do was just work for a safe and legal company, and when I found them, they weren't in business for very long.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    24 yrs. is a lot of experience. Something will click soon.

9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Are there any courier services in your are that you could work for, delivering small packages and parcels?
    Also, how about local transit companies to work as a bus driver?

Good luck to you. God bless you and your family!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

10. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Perhaps you could get a job in one of the apple packing plants or warehouses, one job in mind would be that of a forklift operator.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

11. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    When you did all thise jobs were you a temp or an employee. I ask cause if temp just put temp agency you work for and that should suffice. That is what i did.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.