Tool Box for Trailer

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Old Man, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Looking for a tool box for a flat, 24x24x48. One door that folds down or 2 doors? I prefer stainless but want one that will hold up to use. Brand names?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Check out Merritt

Get your Googlies on!

mslashbar Thanks this.
  5. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I like the 2 door that fold out. This way if I'm loading say a heavy tarp, I can get close in and not have to reach over the door.

ChaoSS, barroll and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I like the two door with cam locks.
    [​IMG]

Airborne, Chewy352, soloflyr and 4 others Thank this.
  7. glockwise

glockwise Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2014
    ^^ what he said. I also don't like flip out doors because when you leave them open and are working around the trailer they clip you at the knees, where as swing doors open under the trailer.

I also like 60" boxes. I usually have 2. On the curbside I carry the long end of the straps, protectors, re-wind gadgets, a bottle jack, block of wood, ect. On the roadside box, I installed aluminum angle on each side about 10" from the top. I cut down hard wood to fit and carry usually 8 or 9 pieces. Some people build a rack on the box for dunnage. I used to just put the dunnage on the bottom, but then I had to take out all of my crap to get at it. I thought about putting a shelf in and putting my straps on top, but liked the idea of being able to take the wood out and not have a shelf to contend with. I like it a little more tighty. On the bottom, I have 3 automotive bins that I requisitioned from some supplier tossing them. And I carry ratchet ends, wench bars, the other half of my edge protectors, padding, and a Weber grill. No tarps for this guy.

I like stainless doors, but most boxes are aluminum with stainless doors. I'm not a fan of 4 way ( or diamond deck, depending on where you're from) as it's hard to keep shinny.

Not sure on 48's, but a nice sturdy lite 60 is around $550. I made the first few brackets. But for $75, I just buy them now and drink beer for those 2 hours instead.

Old Man and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. glockwise

glockwise Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2014
    I like those too. Do those door swing all of the way open? They didn't used to, but I don't remember them having piano hinges like that pic.

I don't know that specific brand, but boxes designed with recessed doors like that use to leak pretty bad. Guys used to drill holes in the bottom and take the plastic pop bottle holder thingy's and turn them upside down and layer the bottom to keep their stuff dry.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    My truck has doors like that and they don't leak

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Nothing is worse than leaking side boxes running through flash floods and mud. I've used trailers with side boxes that open like doors and those that flop open. I HATE the door that flops open. Constant shin banger and you can't get close to lift heavy items, my back is sore after a load or two.

Another big disadvantage of the doors that flop down is the hazard it creates if it doesn't latch properly and flops down when you are driving. My brother came close to cutting the legs off a man walking on the side of his lane at night. He had just left a shipper and looked in his rear view and watched as that door came down in the lights of a tailgater that swung over to pass him, then he saw the man and barely had time to slam on the brakes to let the car clear the lane beside him before cranking the wheel over to get that door away from the man. A faulty latch was the culprit, bent by the forklift driver. He stopped to bungie it in place and had the company replace the door and straighten the box.

11. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    If I could I'd never buy a box with an aluminum body again. They'll sag in the middle and doors will pop open, and then all hell can break loose. At the very least brackets with steel crossmembers are a must for boxes that are going to be for more than blankets. Keep an eye out and you'll see boxes all over the place without doors on them because they swung open on the highway and got chewed up by a tire or worse. I really like the design cnsper posted soccer it looks sturdy, the doors aren't load bearing, and there's no lock or handle mechanism inside the door that can get hung up on whatever is rattling around in there.

johndeere4020 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.