Toronto - Winnipeg - Winter Driving

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by haider99, Sep 16, 2016.

1. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    I'm moving to Australia soon where trucking is a very respected profession. Had enough of the ######## here

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Best of luck Bro ..... Aussie land has a TFWP as well ...... let us know how it goes. I have an old Aussie Army buddy of mine hauling road trains. I hear it first hand. There are still a few good gigs in trucking no matter where you live and work BUT if you want the big coin, go back to school and study brain surgery. JMHO

orcen Thanks this.
  4. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    They do not have a TFW program for trucking (thank god). It was on the skilled trade list at one point but they put an end to it quickly when people started taking advantage of it like they do here in Canada.

Now you can pretty much only get a visa to pick fruit if you don't have a skill.

My wifes neighbor owns his own truck with a dedicated route from Brisbane to Melbourne and wants to retire, so when I was there back in February I told him to stick it out for another year then I'll take over for him and he can relax on a hammock all day sipping beers while I make money for him.

Any day now my visa should be coming though... Hopefully before the snow hits here :D :D :D

Pullin2 and upnorthwpg Thank this.
  5. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Right on !! Good on ya mate ! LOL . I had heard they were putting the trade up a notch on the skill list. Boy, I'm glad they finally did ..... now if we can finally get THIS Commonwealth country to do the same ..... Best of luck. Keep us posted !!

6. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    11 is god awful boring BUT it's a safer route in the winter season. Like others have said, 17 offers very nice views but it is a bad road for lake effect snow storms, white outs and cold winds. I'd say the worst part is Wawa to Batchawana Bay. That section is closed often, not matter the time of year.

I will usually run 17 as I live in Sudbury so I will pull a load from North Bay and spend a night or weekend at home and make my way west, and do the same on the return home but sometimes it's a safer bet to just run 11.

Biggest downfall to 11 in the winter is that 17 is a bit of a #### show so a lot of big rigs will be seen running 11 slowing you down and making it harder to find a safe spot to call it quits for the night.

I am pretty used to 17 so I'll typically run it no matter the weather but if the road is closed or I know theres gonna be 30 cm of snow coming, I'll run up 11 and take my chances.

7. wavemaker

wavemaker Bobtail Member

May 1, 2014
    I'll take 17 over11 (taliban turnpike) summer or winter. Although the weather does cause17 to close time to time it seems like11 is closed more often due to accidents. Much more likely to lose a mirror on 11.

Macneil and uncleal13 Thank this.
  8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I once heard an old driver refer to highway eleven as "Sesame Street".
    Also alot of fellows seem to like to hog the centre line.

9. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    What's with the scale in Heyden just after SSM? They had both directions open the other day so you have to wait in line until the opposite side goes, trucks backed up onto the highway, really smart

magoo68 and tinytim Thank this.
  10. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    That's one of the dumbest scale setups I've seen in Canada or the US

orcen Thanks this.
  11. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Cochrane and vermillion bay do the same thing especially during blitzes like last weeks brake safety week

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.