Train Encounter With A GoPro

Discussion in 'Trucker Videos' started by STexan, Apr 11, 2015.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Was playing around with a GoPro and this is what happened

[video=youtube_share;i5PvBrmsX28]http://youtu.be/i5PvBrmsX28[/video]

icsheeple, mp4694330 and Voyager1968 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Regardless if it's a train coming or a car/bike coming at you. When you're stopped and preparing to turn or otherwise cross a set of tracks or roadway, it is very difficult to gauge the speed of any oncoming object without really taking time to "study it". With a typical cursory view, it's hard to say with any degree of certainty if you have 6 or 35 or 60 seconds to cross, before the vehicle arrives at your path.

I estimate this train was traveling about 55-60 mph at the time. But when I saw the train coming and ahead about half a mile, and made the u-turn to get ahead of it (drove about 3 miles to next crossing), I thought the train was moving "slowly", and I would have time enough to get set up and perhaps wait a few minutes. I was barely able to get the camera turned on and placed before it rounded the bend, much faster then I thought it would.

So moral of the story is be careful if you see a train and think you can get to the crossing and clear it before it arrives. And if you watch these trains, you may learn (as I did) these trains can actually pick up speed faster then I previously would have assumed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.