TRUCK ALIGNMENTS

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by wickedclown, Jul 1, 2015.

1. wickedclown

wickedclown Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I work in a Auto/Truck shop I do truck alignments on just about every truck out there.
    my question is. 99% of the trucks do not have an adjustable drag link to adjust for a
    straight steering wheel. pretty much every truck that comes into my shop only has Toe
    out/in problems. Without this steering wheel adjustment how many people simply pull
    the steering wheel off to center it as part of a regular alignment?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    That is the common practice to straighten the steering wheel. Most of the trucks we've bought new had a crappy alignment and crooked steering wheel brand new. An alignment is the 1st thing we do to a new truck.

123456 Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I use a regular steering wheel puller. I would say about 60% of the alignments I do require recentering of the steering wheel.

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I do my own "toe" alignment. Use to set it about 1/8 to 1/16 toed in, which was ok, But the last of kelly steer tires I put on I decided to set it at "0" and they have been wearing evenly, and pull straight.

6. wickedclown

wickedclown Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2015
    thanks ran into one issue over a crooked steering wheel with a customer and I always felt pulling the wheel to center it
    wasn't the correct thing to do. I always felt if the alignment was set right and your not getting tire wear that was the best outcome. don't like the idea of having to pull the wheel because alot of newer trucks have airbags now,

7. asavage1576

asavage1576 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Dallas,Tx
    Disconnect steering shaft from gearbox and straighten wheel then bolt it back up. I do it this way and you don't have to pull the wheel and it's only one bolt. Sometimes the yoke can only go on the gearbox one way though. So in those cases I disconnect yoke inside cab and spin wheel and reconnect yoke.

Cetane+ and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  8. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Make sure the pitman arm is centered on the sector shaft first.

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Any recommendation for a shop in Metro Detroit?

10. asavage1576

asavage1576 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Dallas,Tx
    Don't disconnect the pitman arm. Just disconnect steering shaft from box

11. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Check means look to see if marks line up. Someone might have messed it up before. That's alignment 101. If the marks aren't aligned, disconnecting the steering wheel shaft ain't gonna fix it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.