Truck engine manufacturers and VW

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Studebaker Hawk, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I find it mildly amusing that VW just got busted (oh the horror, the humanity!!!)for putting 2 different programs in their automobile diesel engine ECMs. One to make the engine appear to meet EPA pollution standards in test mode, and a 2nd program that the car used when driven by the customer, performing better but possibly polluting more.
    This is precisely what the HD truck engine manufacturers got busted for in 2001 and were forced by court decree to move up the introduction of untested pollution controls by 3 years(EGR, DPF, and DEF systems.), setting back the trucking industry by a good 20 years.
    Lets see how John Q Public reacts to EPA regs screwing up his car....

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Is VW going to be made to reflash all those ecms ????

My bet would be no.... And just heard on the news that the CEO of VW resigned .....

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK I guess the kneejerk reaction to this is rather amusing and those here in Detroit are acting as if the sky is falling but VW did what others have in the past, cheated.

They got caught and now the experts are saying how damaging this is to the entire industry with the US government is already talking about jail time for those involved when I can't see it being reasonable because compared to GM and the ignition switch mess, where people were actually killed and (GM and its employees get to walk away with Murder by paying a fine when everyone including the CEO should be in jail), VW did nothing at all.

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    where do I get the software VW uses?

not4hire Thanks this.
  6. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    So, the US is going to jail whom exactly from a foreign automaker? I think I'd like to see some independent verification of this, as well as getting some actual metrics on the differences (hp/tq ratings and various emissions readings). I'm thinking this is the sort of capability every aftermarket ECM tuner wishes they had.

7. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    My first thought was the US engine manufactures. I thought it was odd that VW would try the same thing, knowing that the EPA busted the US manufactures for it. You would assume that the well paid executives at VW would have known what happened to the big boys in US back then.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    EPA and CARB is a total joke. Trucks (and light vehicles) today put out a fraction of the emissions they did 10-15 years ago. If they really want to make an difference in the environment, they should be mandating this crap in countries like China.

9. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Not only that, but many jurisdictions in the US do not have emissions testing, other than requiring factory emissions control equipment to be in place. The Northeast and West coast being the notable exceptions...

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I heard they do it annually in Commiefornia. They used to do it on the BC coast but I heard they scrapped that last year. Waste of time IMO. Nice thing about Canada is that as long as it meets the emissions laws for its model year, you're good to go.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably somewhere in China. A freind of mine won't buy a car; he leases. He has software to reprogram the lease vehicles for better performance. He changes the engine specs to high performance specs. He leased a Jaguar one time and it would burn the tires off leaving a stop light. One time he leased a car and replaced the camshaft; did it in his garage at home, then reprogramed the engine to high performance specs.
    He can afford it, he's wealthy. When he turns the cars back in he leaves the new settings in place as a joke.
    He did an internet search and found the software to do all that.
    He also found software that reprograms the odometer to only show half the miles run. You drive 100 miles and the odometer shows 50 miles.
    I don't really care one way or another.
    I realize you asked the question in jest, so I just gave you an answer that's actually true.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.