Truck Overturned - 2006 KW T2000

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DallasTrucker, Sep 3, 2015.

1. DallasTrucker

DallasTrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Hello, my truck overturned in TN a week ago and created a huge mess (a sedan cut in front and driver swerved on to the median, very small shoulder so the truck ran into the guard rail and tipped over. Luckily there were no injuries and no other involved parties). The truck was loaded so the wreckers had to remove the load before uprighting both tractor and trailer and towing them to their shop. It took them 10 hours.

I'm looking for advice on next steps. It's going to be a total loss and here are the details:

Insurance is valuing the truck at $18k - can I contest this? On truck paper, similar trucks are about $23-27K
    Towing bill:$9,500, which is split equally on the bobtail insurance and trailer insurance - I have $3k towing limit on my bobtail so the balance (+1,000 storage) will come from the $18K. Is this right, the amount of the bill and to split equally bobtail/trailer?
    Salvage value if I want to keep the truck is $6,800. Should I keep it and sell for parts or to a salvage yard? Reparing will likely cost way too much.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I have my truck insured for $19k. I'd cringe at what insurance values it at.

4. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Do you have any recourse against car that caused accident? Witnesses? Camera footage?

5. DallasTrucker

DallasTrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2013
    A driver behind called the police but didn't stay long enough to leave his details. So unfortunately no witnesses of footage.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  6. NASTrans

NASTrans Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Unfortunately the law is setup where the driver is at fault until can be proven otherwise. Honestly I have seen far greater damage for similar accidents. There is a local wrecker here and one truck they had damage which seemed like a wrecking ball fell on top of the cabin.

As far as the insurance goes, you can contest it but it depends on how far you want to go. Chances are most likely the insurance will fight it. You can hire a lawyer but that may cost you more than the difference between their value and yours. Though you can request that they give you a detailed breakdown of their evaluation.

7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Just remember when it comes to evaluating trucks, what they are asking for, and what they are selling for is two entirely different things.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  8. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Normally if you think your equipment is worth more than what they are offering. is you having to PROVE that it's worth more than that value by providing receipts.
    Now if you can't do that you could try and work something out with your insurance company maybe getting the ,oney and keeping the truck.they would rather you keep it. They don't want to deal with it.

9. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If you were to buy it back do you have a place to keep it while you part it out? I would try to get it back for alot cheaper than $6800.

10. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    You didn't tell us anything specific: what year, mileage, engine, trans, rears, tire tread depth,any verifiable major repairs. All of this would go into determining its value for payoff and its value as salvage. Two other things people don't think about. When the truck was righted did the tow company use two wreckers opposing each other to prevent the truck from slamming down when it it righted? Was it even possible to position two wreckers. A lot of damage can occur when the truck lands back upright. When the truck rolled did the driver have the presence of mind to turn off the key or did the engine seize or run out of fuel before damage was done. The salvage value to you comes after the truck bidding as salvage or to be repaired or parted out by the highest bidder comes to a close. At that point you can retain it or let it go. Then the insurance company settles with you. Good luck. Sorry. You posted 2000 year model.

11. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Go see an attorney specializing in auto accidents and personal injuries. Usually their initial consultation is free, even the good ones. They have expert-level knowledge when dealing with insurance companies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.