Truck problems, any help?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dylan B., Jul 5, 2015.

1. Dylan B.

Dylan B. Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2015
    I have a 2009 international work star that is having problems. It does not want to start in the morning. It cranks over great but it's like it is not getting fuel. I borrowed a computer and hooked the truck up and the injector PSI when cranking was around 400, and would not start. A guy told me then it could be anything from an injection pump, bad injectors or o rings. But once you get the truck started, just keep trying to crank it over the truck runs like a charm the rest of the day. You can shut it off and start it a thousand times and not have a problem. Anybody have any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Sounds like a bad check valve somewhere in fuel system .
    It's lost its prime by the time morning comes.
    If your running a davco setup , start there. There is a one way check valve on the port going into the filter.
    Also should be one on the engine somewhere also.

4. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

I second that suggestion, fuel drain back issue..

... Philip

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The pressure you are looking at in the computer is Injection control pressure. Usually healthy systems will create well over 500 psi. 400 is low. The ECM will be commanding about 700 psi minimum to start. If the ECM wants 700 psi, but is only getting 400 it will log a code for ICP unable to build during crank. If your engine is not logging this code and you aren't getting a check engine light, then chances are it is a fuel issue. ICP pressure is enough, but only 400 psi with no code is a mystery. The fuel pumps on those are known for breaking the outlet check valve inside the fuel pump and causing issues like this. If you remove the fuel filter cap and look inside the fuel filter bowl and see pieces of white plastic and a small spring, that confirms the fuel pump is no good and needs to be replaced. There is also a secondary check valve at the outlet of the fuel filter module where the hand primer is that should also be replaced if you find the fuel pump is bad.

lovesthedrive and Cranky Yankee Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.