Truck Shut down

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by elptrucking, Sep 25, 2015.

1. elptrucking

elptrucking Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Hey guys,
    I have a freightliner columbia, Detroit engine 14.0L.
    Truck is shutting down, the oil pressure is dropping to zero but I know the pressure is good, and the accelerator won't respond at times. I plugged it to a computer and it said I needed to change the intake throttle sensor, so I changed it, changed the oil pressure sensor, the harness and it is still shutting down. Does anyone know what else could be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justin Sane

Justin Sane Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2012
    do you have the coolant topped off? If its low it will shut down.

4. Sustanon

Sustanon Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2010
    KY
    If one of the arrows on your dash flicker,that could trigger the shut down without warning,I had the same problem with the coolant gauge.

5. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    What were the exact codes it gave?

Many of the sensors have different codes for different types of faults. Doesn't always mean the sensor itself is bad.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Nice feature for engine safety but a PITA when the sensor or harness fails.

7. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    On newer 4000 series internationals you can just unplug the sensor to turn the light off. The sensor closes the circuit when it senses the coolant is low and kicks the light on. They are prone to failing a lot because of bad design and vibration.

8. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    My FTLR DD60 14L has an ongoing issue with the low coolant sensor. The plug can be pulled and left hanging - the check engine lite will come on but the engine shutdown warning indicator won't activate. Not the best way to run, but holding the engine override button is pretty annoying. I once shoved a sliver in there and ran 250 miles home that way. Also not the best way to run.

9. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I had a 07 Columbia that use to shut down a lot until this day never found the problem. But I unplugged the coolant sensor and replaced the plug with a paper clip. So even if the truck was low on coolant you wouldn't be able to tell because the sensor always read full.

Same with my 08'volvo blew a hole on the block and it kept shutting down and losing throttle(safe mode) swallowing coolant like crazy. Being 100 miles away from home I did the same thing again paper clip into the coolant sensor lol. Got it home no issues.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.