Truck Shutdown.

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by 6wheeler, Sep 7, 2016.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    What do the brokers do when a truck is shutdown.

Like the DOT find a crack in the frame, or the truck was in a wreck and the load is on the back of the truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Repower/recover with another tractor or if it's the trailer it gets crossloaded into another.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ok, so the broker has a forklift and a truck brought to the truck where it got shutdown? What a mess

5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I guess- never happened to me. I'd expect it gets brought to some kind of switching yard n isn't done on the side of the road.
    I'd expect the broker passes all of that cost up to (and probably attempts to get beyond..) the full rate to cover said recovery

6wheeler Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I've had brokers try to get me to repower other broken down o/o's trailer. I refuse to recover any loads from broken down o/o. I don't know what kind of junk their trailer is and don't want that responsibility. I actually post as power only but specify in comments "do NOT call me to recover some broken down oqner operators junk equipment". I'm not interested in PO loads like that at any price.

I'm looking to move amazon, generators, or some such for an actual customer needing a power unit. I find it amusing these brokers having to scramble to recover a load they booked for nothing on a shoddy carrier. Their greed doesn't allow them to think of consequences until it is too late. They use and abuse cheap carriers with no qualms whatsoever but in turn become a sniveling, snarling, spoiled brat when the tables are turned. Serves em right.

7. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Brokers need to be "deleted" like DPF systems in my book. Stinking thieves.

thejackal Thanks this.
  8. Highrisk21

Highrisk21 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2016
    OR just show us what the load pays

W900AOwner Thanks this.
  9. W900AOwner

Jul 2, 2014

Wouldn't that be nice....

I just moved a brand new Cat D6NLGP from the port of Baltimore to a dealer in Columbia, SC this week for a very reputable, established broker whom I won't mention here...but the rate was putrid and NO, I didn't HAVE to take it, but being an hour from the pickup point after I unloaded and all, I took it just to get out of that area.

The number in my opinion was HALF what it should be, they made it sound like Cat was being so generous by reimbursing for the permit costs per state, but only up to $15.00 each permit for the service charge for each one. The permit company I used this time charges me $30.00 per permit (a little high in my opinion, ) so it still cost me $60.00 out-of-pocket for the 4 states I had to get.

Again, I didn't have to do the load, but it was something to get me out of Baltimore, my least favorite neighborhood to be in. It was wide, at 10' 2", legal weight at least. With time restrictions, kerfews and all I had about 2 days invested plus $300.00 in permits and it was half what I really feel it should be paying. I'll never do it again, that's a fact.

The point is, as just mentioned...was it really a low-paying oversized load because the broker has to bid low to get the work from Cat away from the other carrier that normally does that work, or are they just greedy, bottom feeding plankton like the majority of them?

I got my return load on from 75 miles away from the Cat dealer I unloaded at in SC. Mind you it was Friday morning... Nice little load, 3600 lbs., four 1/4" steel sheets, 20 ft. long x 80" wide. Comes right home here, paid DOUBLE what the bulldozer did. DOUBLE....and the whole load is 4" high off the deck, 3600 pounds.

That broker (out of California) I called initially had that return load posted for one price, then when I showed interest in it he pulled the old, "I had a couple other carriers interested in this same load, that will do it for $200.00 less.." That makes the blood in my testicles reach 212 degrees ferenheit when they pull that stuff. I just stated the facts, I'm not going to play auction with this...I'll spend $500.00 on a motel here until next week until I find a decent load if I have to. He caved in eventually, and we booked it.

I would love to make it mandatory for all brokers to be forced to become transparent and be forced to show those original rates before I die. I ain't got that many years left though.

KenworthGuyNH Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    What good would that really do? Have you really thought it through? Did you ever consider that maybe the brokers really putting the squeeze and hurting your competition might be a good thing? The biggest problem out here is, as always, too many trucks available.

11. W900AOwner

Jul 2, 2014
    I have thought it through, yes. Plenty of time to do that every day. You're OBVIOUSLY never going to change the amount of trucks vs. loads available, as for every 1 that drops out, 2 more start back up again in this business because it's so "easy" to do so. So the alternative solution (which in my opinion makes perfect sense,) is to regulate the brokers operations to be forced to be open about the ACTUAL rate the freight is being moved for.

And NO, I'm not in favor of more gubment regulation...that's the last thing I want, but if they're gonna continue to screw my business up with elogs, speed limiters, lower blood pressure numbers, 17" neck circumfrences, forced sleep apnea testing, and all the other whacked out ideas that are being thrown around, then I don't see why regulating the brokers greed would hurt one single bit. That's all I'm saying.

Squeeze my competition out? Pffffft, c'mon now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.