Trucker aborts exit, gets rear ended in Houston- fatality

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by One_tooth_wonder, Jun 27, 2015.

1. One_tooth_wonder

One_tooth_wonder Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Cleveland, TX
    http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/young-woman-killed-as-she-hits-18-wheeler/

Just after 11pm Thursday 24-year-old woman who was heading home after returning from a trip rear ended an 18-wheeler hauling a roll of steel. The crash occurred on Loop 610 at Irvington in the eastbound lanes. Houston Fire Department rescue teams attempted to free the young woman from the wreckage of her Nissan X-Terra, but she did not survive. Loop 61-0 eastbound was closed for close to 4 hours as investigators with Houston Police Department Accident Division worked the crash.

According to Houston Police, the 18 wheeler was eastbound and was attempting to exit the freeway. At the last moment the driver, thinking he was going to fast to make his exit safely swerved back onto the freeway. That is when the young woman slammed into the rear of the truck. The truck driver was given a field sobriety test which indicated no impairment.

The young woman’s name has not been released as of yet but is said to have extensive ties to Montgomery County.
    -----------------------------------------
    Pics in the link.
    This is purely speculation by me, but I don't see how that kind of carnage can occur without excessive speed being involved, if the truck was indeed moving. It looks like the suv hit a parked truck- its wasted. The story doesn't make sense to me.
    The speed limit there is 60.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    My son inlaw was driving a semi when a p/u hauling a boat did the same thing. He ended up with the boat sail coming through his windshield. Luckily no one was killed, but it did end his truck driving career.

Condolences to the family of this young lady.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I doubt the trucker's story is entirely accurate. Doesn't seem the truck was going very fast at all at the time of the incident. More likely the driver realized he was at the wrong exit or (changed his mind) then put himself right back into the high-speed traffic lane of the freeway, assuming others would realize he was an idiot and steer around him.

... may have even been sort of new and not good with his shifting skills, and messed up the shift as he tried to pick up from wherever he was in the pattern (neutral perhaps?) and was coasting along, in the traffic lane, like a _______________ (fill in the blank).

Don't get me started on drivers who lose their position in shifting and flunk out and can not figure it out without coming to a stop and starting over.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    rachi and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I'm not sticking up for truck driver but it looks like he had truck back in travel lane and straight already when he got hit... Suv hit it square on which indicates to me enough time to slow or stop

One_tooth_wonder and Skate-Board Thank this.
  6. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Maybe the trucker was wrong for swerving like that but, as magoo58 said, she hit that ICC bar square on. That leads me to also believe that the truck had already gotten fully back into the lane when the Nissan hit him. In turn, for the Nissan to have hit him I'd think she was probably speeding and/or following too closely anyhow.

Now that I think about it, I'm just saying the same thing as the poster above me...

EDIT: I just re-read the story. Either the 4-wheeler was clearly speeding, or the trucker was going way too slow when he swerved back into the travel lane.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  7. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Something does not add up. The semi was in a sandwich lane. It wasn't in the slow lane where you would expect it to be if it was pulling back into traffic.

8. One_tooth_wonder

One_tooth_wonder Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Cleveland, TX
    That's what makes the story seem incomplete. If he was in fact going way too slow, that doesn't corroborate his story of going too fast to make the exit.

9. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Yeah somethings up if you view the pictures that show the exit and where he's stopped it looks like he is stopped before the actual corner so he had time to slow enough to make it.
    I won't say he was right by no means but she had to have been distracted or rolling pretty dang quick.

10. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Looking at the pictures again my money is on this scenario. The driver is full of himself ( like so many jerks in today's America) and drives only in the second lane. It came time to make a decision as to which exit to take. He slowed, paying no attention to where he was (in a thru travel lane) because he can drive in whatever lane he chooses to. He also payed no attention to any of the other vehicles traveling in his direction. He slowed way down and she plowed into the trailer possibly because judging the speed of a vehicle (the truck in this case) is much harder to do at night than in daylight. Even when you are paying attention to driving it is very easy to run up on a slow vehicle at night. Also consider the fact that many many people drive well above the speed limit. Just my .02 cents. I do feel bad for her and family because this should not have happened.

11. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Everything is too straight.

What happened there was that the driver slowed down on THAT lane to then check his mirrors to then try to switch onto the exit.

The car driver was following too close.
    Dot bar was damaged more on left, she tried to swerve out but ...
    This is sad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.