Trucker aborts exit, gets rear ended in Houston- fatality

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by One_tooth_wonder, Jun 27, 2015.

1. TruckerWife630

TruckerWife630 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Alabama
    I'd be almost willing to bet she was texting or otherwise distracted. Very sad, but I'm not sure how you drive so fast & not notice a big rig enough that the whom front end if the Nissan was pretty much gone! I'm not everybody, but I watch big rigs when I drive.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    You can also say that its a possibility the driver was distracted or confused by his GPS units incoherent direction mapping ...

Does anyone know what kind of view angles those cab over have?

4. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    He was driving a day a cab...also he's lucky that the coil didn't come off..not enough securement on it.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Just wondering how do you know if he did or not I don't think you have his BOL to know that weight was? Or for sure what size chains he was using? You can only guess he does have 5 chains and it held so I am going to say he probably did.
    And what's happened to all these guys that point out any time it's a big truck no matter what if you hit someone in the rear its your fault period end if story? It seems from one story to the next drivers are against the truck every time!
    Did this truck mess up maybe did the car mess up probably.
    I hate that it happened the ladies family and the driver and his family all have to deal with this.
    I don't know that I buy his story. The investigation will find out the truth. One thing for sure no matter what driver wishes he had done something different.

6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Count again...3 chains and a strap

7. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Thank god you're not an investigator. Say I'm sitting on the shoulder of a highway. I take off and immediately pull into the travel lane without gaining speed before merging. Does that give traffic traveling 60 mph and only a couple hundred feet behind me time to stop? I doubt it.

rachi Thanks this.
  8. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I don't know, In my opinion the driver was in the slow lane. The markings on the highway tell me the lane immediately to his right is an exit only lane.

SLCTrucker Thanks this.
  9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    If you were on the shoulder stopped it would take even longer to get straight in next lane.. Either way it's sad that someone died who didn't need regardless of circumstances

HotH2o, One_tooth_wonder and tsavory Thank this.
  10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

The force of the impact is the delta V. The speed differential between vehicles.

Since that XTerra looks like a post crash test dummy impact I'm going to assume 50mph into a dead stop.

Okay so the rig slowed for the exit and then aborted (maybe it wasn't his exit?) so figure under 40? Maybe he missed a shift and the truck wasn't accelerating? 30-35?

I'm guessing the XTerra was traveling IN EXCESS of 80 mph. (And really is that surprising these days?) whipping through lanes while looking at a cellphone and here's a truck doing 1/3 her speed? Boom! Done.

I'm sorry but I'm putting fault on the deceased here. For whatever reason she failed to see the truck in front of her in time. (She couldn't have been tailgating the impact vehicle because of the high delta v)

I'm dissapointed with some of you blaming the truck. If you applied the same safety rules to the 4wheeler, it seems she was the one who didn't aim high in steering.

11. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    00916.00_01_41_09.Still008-1-1.jpg
    what am I'm I missing pretty sure that's 5 well maybe 4 and a strap with chain end hard to tell with the lighting.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.