Truckers warn speed caps will cause crashes, jam highways

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Puppage, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    My slow truck nearly misses accidents every day,I have no ability to get out of anyones way.
    Im stuck in the slow lane,merging traffic requires me many times to slow down,and let them merge..even though I have the right of way.
    Better to have speed and power..and not need it..than to need some power and speed,and not have it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Just look at the mess speed-limiters made of Hwy 401 in Onterrible and Rte 20 in Quebec. Nothing more than politicians scoring cheap points at the expense of the trucking industry. Again.

4. Assured

Assured Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I'm still curious as to what exactly is meant by "speed differential collision" when it gets cited in opposition to anything that results in differential speed limits.

I can think of two ways in which speed differential results in collisions:

The simple case involves a fast vehicle approaches a slow vehicle, isn't paying attention, closes the gap, then collides.

The other is that two slow moving vehicles meet and drive along near each other, forming a two-lane wide obstruction. One of them eventually starts to pull ahead. Meanwhile, faster moving vehicles move in and swarm the rearward vehicle - some tailgate it, others box themselves in beside waiting for an opening. Eventually a gap partially opens up and whoever is tailgating the frontward vehicle takes it, cutting off the rearward vehicle, possibly hitting it, possibly forcing it to pull onto the shoulder or adjacent lane, possibly forcing it to brake hard (possibly also causing a collision between the slow vehicle and whatever is tailgating it).

For the most part, the first scenario seems pretty uncommon. I do see lots of cars rushing through traffic, but they usually are paying at least enough attention to brake.

But the second scenario is quite ubiquitous. I see it all the time (even had it happen to me an awful lot throughout my first few months of driving). I suppose it's possible to drive fast enough to keep the aggressive drivers satisfied (but I think it much more likely that those who try to manage problems by racing with them are also aggressive drivers). It can also be managed very effectively at lower speeds - by paying attention to traffic, maintaining a safe following distance, not letting others box themselves in, and responding to troublemakers as early as possible (so you don't get caught off-guard and have to attempt an emergency maneuver).

It would be nice to know some more details behind the statistics, as well as what people are really arguing for.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.