Trucking and motorcycles.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, May 30, 2015.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The opposite ends of the spectrum in all aspecs. Weight, speed, braking, maneverability. All on the same road. Been driving for a long time. Before I started in a semi, I drove straight truck, I was a chauffer, Rescue, Lawman. All of them require you to qualify continually to keep your job.

A few years back, I wanted to buy a bike. Went through one of those motorcycle safety courses. The biggest problem that most in that safety course had was looking where they want to go. We spot the rookies in the truck, because rookies hog the zipper...its what they're focused while driving. Pulling really big and wide loads, you have to learn to do the opposite. You put your steers on the fog lines. If I'm in the right lane, my right steer will be on the fog, even if I am looking out my left mirrors. The average veteran driver looks wayyyyyyy off ahead of him. He centers his truck by looking far down the road. You train yourself to do this. What happens when 2 rookies go big truck dragracing down a highway and both of them are focusing on the zipper? BANG! They collide.

So, I got my M on my license, went out bought a bike and hopped on the highway. EZ Rider, right? Wrong. It feels like youre naked in public. You're conscious of everything...especially tailgaters. What do you do when youre on a bike and you have an idiot four a few feet off your back tire? See, the roles have reversed. If you tailgate someone in a truck, you will not be able to stop to avoid hitting him. If youre on a bike, that car will not be able to stop in the distance that bike can. So, what do you do? Increase your following distance to insure that idiot tailgating can stop in time. In other words, you start driving for the idiot.

If some idiot four is going to try to get around you and passes you on the right so he can cut in front of you, you try to block him, because in an accident, he's going to lose. But if you're on the bike, in a line of traffic and some imbecile is coming around on the right and plans to cut in front of the line, and he sees the space in front of you because you've increased your following distance for the tailgater behind you, what do you do? In an accident, you're going to lose. You back off the throttle and let the idiot go. Hey! You avoided an accident. Good job! Sure the dingleberry dangling off your behind is ticked, but thats fine...hopefully that dingleberry will go the way of the dingleberry and drop off your arse.

When you're on a motorcycle, and you see another rider, you wave at him. When you ride a motorcycle and are behind the wheel of your rig, you look for and see every motorcyclist.

Well, thats why I dont ride a motorcycle. Too much danger on the road

And you drive a truck because there is no danger, correct? You know how you see those big billboards advertising some scum lawer going to bat for you against the evil truck drivers? The motorcyclist have the same advertising of biker lawyers going out against all the morons on 4 wheels. Do you REALLY want to be a good, safe driver? Go ride a motorcycle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. greeneinc

greeneinc Bobtail Member

May 3, 2015
    AMEN TripleSix!!!!!! I have been riding motorcycles for 22 years and when you get out of your driveway and onto the road, your mentality while riding a motorcycle changes almost instantly. You have to be extremely aware of everything going on around you. You get a new found respect on life when you are on a motorcycle because the slightest mistake, whether yours or the vehicles around you, can kill you. Then you get off your motorcycle and either into a car or truck.

freenow Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    A wise man once told me...

"There are OLD riders, and BOLD riders. There are VERY few of both."

dca, TruckDuo, rank and 3 others Thank this.
  5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I don't ride that much any more here in the states.
    What's worse is I ride a small 125 rice burner in Thailand.
    Now that is scary. People running the shoulder some bikes have no tail lights. Try spotting them at night..
    The list can go on and on

6. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    There can be a "one" kind of rider too

Attached Files:

7. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I do both trucking an riding... Got an 02 CBR f4i and just picked up my new baby a 15 Street glide special...

8. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    What ever happened to side cars anyway, and why didn't they call those side cycles? Ah, team bikin' that usually involves a butt crack on the back end, makes sense.

9. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Crashed my Yamaha fzr600 Into a hay field. Young and dumb. Haven't touched a bike since.

10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Those billboard ads are nothing but a sales pitch.. Don't let it get under your skin. Take it with grain of salt.. Most riding bikes tend to ride the zipper when they need it.. Gotta watch out for em

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  11. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Many yrs ago, when I was a young motor Officer, Just before noon on a dry clear day..
    I stopped at a red light, I was in the left tire groove and my partner in the right one, both wearing florescent "X" vests. and the brake lights flashing when activated...(upper centre red, steady, the out brd reds alternating) on a pretty heavy duty rear bumper/accessory bar...
    I was bumped from behind and driven 10' forward, luckily did not drop the beast..

Got off, walked back to the surprised 4 wheel driver, and the comment that came out of his mouth was,
    "Hey! Where did you come from??".
    I replied, License and registration, Please!

Be cool, drive safe, call home and tell them you love them..
    .... Philip

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.