Trucking Company's Without Websites

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by MJKahan23, Oct 5, 2015.

1. MJKahan23

MJKahan23 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2015
    I work for a 3PL and have noticed that many of the carrier's we do business with do not have a company website. Just curious as to why this is. It would seem to me that in such a competitive industry, this would be a good way to stick out/establish credibility to a potential customer.

What are the main reasons most companies avoid making even the most basic site?

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    I worked for a 1000 truck outfit that didn't have one...dedicated auto parts. Having one wouldn't do anything for them so why spend the money on it? Some may not see it as necessity...even though this world we live in makes you feel like you have to be connected to everything.

MJKahan23 Thanks this.
  4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Companies don't care how good your website is (if you have one), all they care about is the lowest bidder. End of story

MJKahan23 and 77smartin Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think any operation that has at least 10 trucks should have a web site, no matter how simple or ineffective. Especially when there are good drivers who see trucks from near their hometown and would like to maybe find a good phone number for them to maybe ask about employment.

I just can't imagine going into a potential customer and not being able to show you at least have a web site describing your operation and your goals, and related email address.

As a driver, I'd feel uncomfortable working for a trucking company that does not have a web site. They don't cost anything and it seems like an easy task, to not do, and I'd wonder what else they won't do.

Arkansas and mrdot Thank this.
  6. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
    I can put a website up in an hour for about $11.00. I'm pretty sure these companies are just being stupid.

Chinatown and mrdot Thank this.
  7. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    I use to think a website was important for a business. I've been a business owner for many years, and I have spent a lot of time with websites. For some, its important. For most? Its not. If you are going to offer something (shipment tracking, etc...) that customers can use as a tool... Or updating information for employees/customers, then it has some value.

A website can do just as much harm, as it can do good. A poorly designed website, or a very limited information website... You know, the kind you get with an hour and $11.00... Can do more harm than good.

You feel uncomfortable working for me because I don't have a website? You seem like a high maintenance employee, and it would probably be best if you worked elsewhere. My office has a phone that gets answered. If you are working with, or for me... you have my cell phone number, and its answered 24 hours a day. If someone is too lazy to find my number, and is relying on me waving it in front of your face? That tells me what kind of an employee you would be.

I generally work 18 hours a day. Someone calling me about employment? They are kicking tires, and I don't have time for tire kickers. If you are serious about working with, or for me, and you stop in to see me? I'll make the time for you, no matter how busy I am.

Yes, its cheap to buy the space and set up a website. Its time consuming to keep it updated, and to really show who you are with one.

G13Tomcat, TAfool and redoctober83 Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I want to see what sort of "general information" they will provide "in print". And I understand about the idea a poor web site can be more harmful then good. I think in the trucking world, a web site is more useful to potential drivers then potential customers. That said, if I (a driver looking for a change) can't get at least a sense of the company and their operation area, type of driver they're looking for, etc from a web site, I'm not going to bother to send an email to a "general purpose" mailbox address that get's checked maybe once a week when somebody is bored. I'm going to simply mark them off my list and move on.

Dreamboat and Longarm Thank this.
  9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Google the company, and at least you'll find the phone number (and better yet, to stop in at the physical address, as driver/business owner posted above!) Yellow Pages, and Mantra, etc... are very helpful in this capacity! My employer doesn't have a website; he owns four PB's, three FB's, and three tankers. He does just fine as an LLC, and I've spent five great years there, making great money. Of course I had to do my 5 years OTR to get there, but still.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Owners don't have any kids younger than 40.

11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    owner 56, kids teens.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.