Trying my own

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Jroq, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Jroq

Jroq Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Been driving for 8 months now. Had a great experience but living on the road is not for me. I do like the trucking industry and want to stay in it. I have a business degree I would love to put to use. So many complaints about bad brokers and companies. I'm sure you can make money while taking care of drivers. My question is where should I start? Becoming a broker? Buying a truck and starting my own company until I can grow it. Any advice would be appreciated. Also please no opinionated comments. Just need helpful knowledge about the other side of trucking. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I don't have the knowledge to really answer you're question. But you are asking other people's opinions. They/we are gonna need a little more information. I'm not jumping on your back, just trying to help. So if you have a business degree and you know where freight is. I'd say research the brokering side of the business. Find yourself some good, safe and reliable o/o's and pay them well and you'll be off and running.
    On the other hand if you have the cash in your bank account and you have a reliable freight source you could buy your own truck or trucks and run the loads yourself. It all depends on what you want to do. If you don't want to live over the road do local work or short haul. My final word though is you need more than 8 months experience. You're gonna need to learn more about this industry. And make some connections. The way it was explained to me. Brokers buy freight of all types. Some specialize in certain areas. But they buy the freight and resell it or find drivers for companies and take a percentage of each load. Someone will chime in and add to this as well as correct me

Jroq Thanks this.
  4. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    Nothing to correct. It ain't all that easy, I have solicited my own freight for many years, and farmed some out to other O/O's. You need experience for what you are thinking, the kind you get from years of working.
    perhaps you would be better served by going to work for a broker, make connections,and learn more about how the business is run.

str8t10, Jroq and Lite bug Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Join OOIDA; the business organization for 0/0's and small fleet owners.
    www.OOIDA.com

Jroq Thanks this.
  6. Mrc united

Mrc united Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Does OOIDA give you a discount for referrals?

6wheeler Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I doubt it. They have their own page somewhere on this website so evidently TTR thinks they're ok.

Mrc united Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.