Turbo for lots of fuel

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by underpsi, May 29, 2009.

1. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Hey Shaun would it be possible for you to get messurement of both the turbine wheel and compressor wheel? and could you get both measurements if possible the inducer and exducer sizes. When you had the turbo on your truck what egts was it running?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. C16KIWI

C16KIWI Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    To get the measurements of both wheels do I have to take anything apart????
    Or just what I can see???
    EGTs at 50psi and 1900rpm under full load 900*F-1000*F burning clean.
    If you are to run it at 38-40psi 1600rpm it was still making good HP the engine sounded different from stock didn't sound like it was working at all very smooth and EGTs at 850*F.
    The only time you had to watch high EGTs was anything under 1400rpm and too much throttle,it would still pull there but you could only use about 30% engine load and it would smoke a bit.

4. underpsi

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    you probably won't be able to get proper wheel measurements without taking the turbine and compressor housing off. They are probably just held on by a band clamp with a 7/16 nut

5. C16KIWI

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand

The turbine wheel 95mm A/R 1.23
    The comp wheel 117mm and 88mm
    Seems to be the same as the measurements you got for the 47.

underpsi and Donk Thank this.
  6. underpsi

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Great Shaun! Thanks alot. Kinda sucks for you though since you can buy that turbi right out of the box and throw it on. Im sure you were way overcharged for that. Tom at Turbo Resources said hes pretty sure thats the one Great Lakes were selling but I thought that they had theirs modified, Guess not. I wonder if it will be big enough for my fuel or if maybe I should get the 55 and try and put a little smaller turbine wheel on it.

Did you have to modify any of your intake piping or exhuast to get it to work on your Star?
    Really appreciate you getting those measurements for me Shaun

7. V8Lenny

V8Lenny Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Europe
    If 55 is used in 630/700hp C-18 that has max torque at 1200 rpm it should be quite perfect for you. Anyone know what A/R that C-18 turbo has?

8. C16KIWI

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand

Hopefully thats the last nail in the coffin when it comes to dealing with Great Lakes.
    You will be running bigger injectors than me as well as the box so it might be to small,seems to work well for me though.
    As far as changes to fit it all I did was to make the flexy exhaust under the cab a bit longer to move the exhaust closer to the turbo because of no wastegate.
    No changes on the intake side and all the oil lines bolted straight up.
    But I did run that turbo for 2 weeks before I put the injectors in and it was a pig to drive,heaps of lag and it felt like the engine never had enough HP to drive it.

underpsi Thanks this.
  9. underpsi

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    You think my 59's are bigger then Great lakes 800hp injectors? Figured they would probably be the same. That pretty sweet that everything bolted up. Changing the flex pipe on the exhaust is nothing

10. C16KIWI

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    I really dont know how much fuel these injectors are flowing as Great Lakes removes all part numbers so they could be flowed stockers or 59s but they were brand new.
    All I know is that they don't smoke,only on gear changes and anything under 1400rpm.
    I allowed a whole day to change the turbo so I wouldn't have to rush,by 10am I had to go back to work.
    When we had both turbo's next to each other on the bench we couldn't believe how big the GT47 was through the middle and shaft size over the stock turbo:yes2557:it looks bullet proof...................Wish I hadn't said that:biggrin_2554:

11. Jas

Jas Medium Load Member

I probably should clarify what I wrote earlier, just because cat lists (example) GT47 for a C15 doesn't mean its the same as the GT47 you buy from Garrett, Cat have the turbo specially make for them and to there specs. The 47 refers to the frame size and there are many combinations within a frame size. Thats problaby why Shauns GT47 is bigger internally than the Cat spec GT50 it replaced. So a GT55 you buy from Garret may be considerably different to the GT55 fitted to a C18, sorry for any confusion. Wasn't till I did some reading I realised there was so much involved in this.
    Shaun, was the turbine on your Garrett turbo a lot bigger than the one that came off your truck? you said the turbine was 95mm yes? I measured a C16 turbo and it is 92mm, a noticalbe difference but not huge.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.