Two Stop Signs and RR Crossing

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Balakov100, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Advice from the TTR Judges.

A couple weeks or so ago.
    I was leaving the Pilot in Dickson, TN.

Before you turn back on the Main Road
    There is a Stop Sign.
    RR Tracks
    And another Stop sign closer to the main road.

Some of you guys may be familiar with this Pilot.

First stop sign says, do not stop on Tracks under it. (obviously)
    If you stop at 2nd Stop Sign with a 53ft trailer (48ft too probably) you will be blocking Tracks.

So.. Do I stop twice, or can I run the second Stop sign?
    I did not stop twice.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Legally, you would be required to stop at both. But as you see, your trailer will stretch across the tracks so i would hold at the first stop sign and when the way is clear, go, making a running stop at the second. If i remember correctly, this is a relatively unused set of tracks, but unless marked exempt, one should always expect a train.And the sight distance is such that you would probably see a train coming a ways off.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Running the stop sign is NOT a "serious offense" and will only DQ you if you've had enough points on your license to get it suspended. The RRX violation carries a 60 day DQ for the FIRST conviction.

So yeah, I'll stop at the first stop sign and wait until it is clear for me to proceed. That second stop sign will be ignored each and every time, because if I stop on the tracks and the wrong cop sees me, I'm sitting on the sidelines for 60 days. Run the stop sign and worst case scenario, it's a couple points and I keep on truckin'.

5. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    If there is a train coming soon, you stop at one.

If there is a cop coming soon, you stop at both.

Easy.

6. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    @Hick wins with the common sense answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LindaPV and Hick Thank this.
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    What? If Pedigree is right, we don't want to stop on the tracks

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  8. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Just to be clear there was no cop and I did not get ticketed or stopped even.

Was just wondering the correct way to approach this or similar situations in the future.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Like I said, I stop before encroaching upon the tracks. When it is clear for me to proceed, I do so without stopping on the tracks. Stopping on the tracks is a pretty serious infraction...FIRST offense DQ's you for 60 days. Wrong cop sees you and writes that ticket and you're done for 2 months. Also, what if the clutch lets go sitting at that 2nd stop sign? Or you let out the clutch and break a yolk, u-joint, drive shaft, axle shaft, differential, etc...and then you're stuck there on the tracks. Shifting on the tracks is discouraged for those reasons...so why would you ever think it would be wise to STOP on the tracks?

Friday, tinytim and tucker Thank this.
  10. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Drive through it without stopping when you could have and get T-boned, then tell me about all the little legalities of it. ;)

mtoo Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd personally do it Pedigree's way. I'd stop at the first stop sign and wait for traffic on the hghway to clear. The second sign gets ignored.

I run into this situation sometimes due to a rail line that runs along US-13 south of Salisbury, sometimes in fairly close proximity to the highway.

@TROOPER to TRUCKER, what's your take?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.