Ugh! Hauling Mail.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Infosaur, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

The work is easy, the driving is easy, the pay is good (enough), the hours are regular,,,,

BUT THE INEFFICIENTCY & BUREAUCRACY HURTS MY BRRRRAAAIN!!!

Load 1 truck full? When you can load 5 trucks 20% each?

*head explodes*

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Everyone needs to be able to get their 40

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  4. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    Why complain if you get your hours. Quick question, how long before you went full-time? I applied and got in and the guy who did my interview wanted me to come aboard but I was concerned with how long it was going to take to do full-time. He said I was the second one on the list to get into full-time and one of the drivers was retiring within that year.

5. Infosaur

Your milage may vary,,,

In my case it was dumb luck. I got fired from a place and was desperate for the next available job, frankly anywhere even non-CDL work. Saw an ad in the paper (might have even been craigslist) company was an hour away but they were running trucks remotely from a facility 5 miles away. And I was comfortable running into NYC which apparently most of their existing drivers refused to do.

Went up for an interview and in the middle of filling out a huge application package there are W2's and other payroll paperwork.

Interview Friday, drive on Monday. Filing for unemployment took longer.

Also I should point out I don't work DIRECTLY for the post office. I work for a contracted trucking company. Their primary ops are general freight and OTR. this is just a consistent money generator for them (once they win a bid for the linehaul) from the looks of it, it's also the last stop for their equipment before the scrapyard. I've got a 13 year old Columbia that can barely pass a DOT. No a/c, and the passenger window doesn't open. The mirrors were once power but now they're broken and so they can't be adjusted much. Trailers are even uglier.

Mostly though it's more sitting than driving. I think I'll move on in a few years. I don't wanna do this long term.

6. Infosaur

Also we're small potatoes compaired to other trucking firms attached to the post office. We're a sub unit of a 30+ unit company only 4 dedicated postal units.

Other outfits have 10-15 trucks per night pulling into the same facility. Some just go back and forth from the air-freight terminal at the airport to the sorting facility. 20 miles each way, as many as they can do in a shift.

And NYC has these cool looking lowrider Mack cabovers with lowboy trailers. I've seen them in NYC many times and they also congregate at the Newark terminal I hit. They go through the tunnels into Manhattan.

7. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    I went in to work for the post office directly. They pay the same if I'm not mistaken. Have fun running mail and if mines late I know who to blame.

8. Infosaur

Whether I stay with it or not depends on if I can get a 2nd job or my wife can work full time.

The money is there for bills and that's about all, I'm trying to find a 2nd job for savings & spending cash. If I can't I'm just going to go with another outfit with a higher bottom line.

The nicest part of this run is the stable hours.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah why are mail contractors trucks junk ? I mean, how does the USPS approve their equipment ? (when they bid for jobs)

10. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    Last i knew the USPS wasnt federal anymore. am I wrong about that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.