Union Trucking Companies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by D33RHUNT3R, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris2fer

chris2fer Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Louisville KY
    Schneider used to have a small union outfit in Green Bay called Schneider Transport they were left over from way back when the whole company was union.

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. union man

union man Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    BRONX, NEW YORK
    USF (united states freight) is a national over the road company that is union also YRC(yellow-roadway), UPS(united parcel service) are union and have over the road jobs but its terminal to terminal , ABF is only union in some areas, there are alot of smaller union companies out there that are good companies to work for, next time you see a union driver ask him about his local union, im sure they will talk to you or contact your local teamsters office in your hometown, they will be happy to talk to you they are allways looking for new members, your making a good start by looking for a union job the teamsters are the only ones that will give you great pay, plus great medical, vacation pay, pension, annuity, there are many diffrent contract with the teamsters with diffrent pay packages, so make sure you look into them all

mje Thanks this.
  4. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    I work for USF Reddaway, now owned by YRC and there have been a lot of yards trying to get the union in. I hope all of them do. I would love to see Conway all go union, would bring tears of joy to my eyes after what happened to CF!

5. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    They still have a few trucks that run union. It's under a different DOT number than Schneider National or Schneider Bulk. I've seen one or 2 orange trucks that say Schneider Transport on the side of them. Few and far between though.

6. b1rcyu76

b1rcyu76 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2009
    canada
    Im with pepsi beverages company in canada and we are union

7. Bucky

Bucky Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I worked as a casual for UPS Package division during the Christmas season. I made $6000 gross in four weeks, at $27 per hour and $40 per hour after eight (8, not 40) hours, and was home every night of the week.

If you ask me, this is what every driving job should pay, union or non-union. Too bad UPS package (not freight) won't hire off the street without a multi year docks then package car prelude. I would LOVE to work there for the next 20 or 30 years. They also have a genuine pension, not a 401K pension-lite.

A buddy is retired from Yellow from days of yore. His pension is $5800 per month.

You can hate the unions, but if an ol' school pay & benefits job ever came along, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

I start with YRC/Holland at a union location full time in a week or two. Health benefits cost the employee - - - $0. Yes, zero.

Just hope they keep me on and manage to pull out of the tailspin they've been in.

double_r Thanks this.
  8. union man

union man Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    BRONX, NEW YORK
    u.p.s. Has a terminal in spring valley, new york thats looking for help, also y.r.c. Has a terminal in maybrook, new york thats looking for help, both are full time union jobs, i dont know where you live, but if its around the new york, new jersey, connecticut, area check them out.

Bucky Thanks this.
  9. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    Well back to your question, with Schneider being union you are about 30 some years to late, Back in the day they where called Schneider Transport with 1,600 drivers and probley one of the best to drive for back then. Deregulation took care of Schneider and all the union Truck Load carriers out there plus about half or more of the LTL carriers. My .02 cents worth............

10. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    This is something that has always been on my mind. When I was OTR a lot of the old timers would talk about the days before deregulation. Always talked about how great it was and they were all union, making lots of money. I would always ask them but I never really got a straight answer about it. All I would hear them say was "you can thank Jimmy Carter for that BS" or that the old days were just better. I kind of understand what deregulation is but I guess not fully. I heard there was a certain amount that had to be charged to haul freight. Is that right?

11. Bucky

Bucky Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Regulated transportation pricing was initiated many many years ago to prevent the below cost transportation pricing seen as every day business in today's transport world*. Safety was a big reason to regulate pricing, as a regulated industry was intended to assure carriers had a reasonable rate of return or profitability. Hard to buy good tires and brakes when a carrier is bleeding money. Every carrier had to file a tariff to not only get permission to haul non-exempt commodities, but how much to charge as well. Minimum pricing standards were part of the result. When deregulation came, the competition of carriers from every corner of the nation for that one load drove the pricing down, and below cost cartage became permissible.

There are many factors to the pros and cons of regulated pricing, but flying on an airline who is constantly bleeding money, as most of them are, sure isn't one of the pros. ;-)

* I cite in support of this theory freight rates out of the New England region. New England has plenty of inbound freight, but since New England has done almost everything possible to kill most of it's manufacturing and industry, outbound loads are very few, hence the bottom feeder desperation rates usually offered to New England shippers when excess capacity in carriers drives competition to below cost levels.
    (As a nearly life long New England resident, I would like to think I am allowed to believe the anti-business climate of New England is a reality, and not just my own opinion. One of way too many examples - UPS spent many millions to get their headquarters out of CT. What did CT do to try and convince them to stay? Nothing. X thousand jobs gone. )

For a much better and more thorough history of deregulation than I could ever offer, scroll about halfway down the page to:
    United States

History of regulation

then to
    Deregulation 1970-2000

at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deregulation

This one is interesting as well
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_Deregulation_Act

"Between 1978 and mid-2001, nine major carriers (including Eastern, Midway, Braniff, Pan Am, Continental, America West Airlines, Northwest Airlines, and TWA) and more than 100 smaller airlines went bankrupt or were liquidated'including most of the dozens of new airlines founded in deregulation's aftermath."

Whether we want to believe it or not, the airline and trucking industries follow very similar paths when it comes to the financial challenges they face.

There is an old saying of sarcasm that's unfortunately very true when it comes to our elected "leaders" paving the way for us:
    "Thank God were not getting all the Government we're paying for."

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.