United Rentals Etiquette

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Doing_flatbed_nc, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    I have to pick up an 84-86' 4wd boom Monday morning at UR in Charlotte.

Previous experience with UR in other cities has been they are very hands off with showing me how to start unfamiliar machinery.

i had a 4 WD scissor lift to load a few weeks ago and it took me a painful 10 minutes to figure out how to start it. I'd only dealt with electric prior to that load.

I know Google is my friend but I feel under the gun to gtfo asap every time I'm at a UR.

How do you guys deal with loading unfamiliar machinery?

I'm ok with newer backhoes, skid steers, etc, but just when I think I'm comfortable, I get something that throws me for a loop. For example, I had to load an older cat skid steer and the frigging the controls wouldn't engage until the door was slammed shut from the outside. I had no clue.

UR is an important account and I don't want to be known as 'that guy' who always needs help but I'm knew to construction equipment and I really need help, lol.

When I was hired at my company (I'm only 1 of 2 CDL drivers- 6 total drivers), I was told I'd get classes at UR on how to operate everything but it's been been learning by fire- no classes at all. I'm okay with that but it sucks having UR employees gawking while I try to start a trencher that I've never seen before.

I'm just venting. Other drivers have been great. The yard guys- not so much.

Couple it all with my co-worker with his CDL is a bona fide 20 year super trucker that is more boastful than helpful and sometimes I feel lost. He gets a thrill throwing me under the bus .

Pay is a whole 'nother issue. I'm straight commission. We (company) gets $135/ HR for hotshotting in the tractor trailer, $85 in a straight rollback. $100 in in a 30 ft straight rollback.

Owner takes 25% off the top and I get 25% of what's left. In the tractor, it works out ok but in the smaller trucks, it can work out to under $10/ hour because the office chick adjusts "time."

For example, I had to pick up a 19' scissor at a job site. Ideally, it would've taken 1.5 hours. But! The controller was dead, the lift was in a freaking maze,and the dock was blocked with a dumpster.

It took 2 hours to get it through the front. Drive time was 1.5. Office lady billed for 2 hours total.

I don't get paid by the hour so I'm out 1.5 hours. Yeah, im new, but in that situation no one could have sped up the process.

Super trucker tells me daily he makes $1200/ week while I'm lucky to clear $600.

FreightlinerGuy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Have you tried asking the UR guys for help with unfamiliar machine?

Doing_flatbed_nc Thanks this.
  4. FreightlinerGuy

FreightlinerGuy Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Great Lakes, USA
    I don't know anything about operating the machinery or the typical etiquette but I'm really happy to see this posted. You really write nicely and seem to be well thought out.

You're lucky to clear $600.00 a week gross or net? That's pretty low unless you've just got you're CDL or only work part-time, live in a really rural area or something. I know the economy is ####ed but still.

I don't think it's good for the office lady to mess with the time either. I think you should get paid for however long it takes but really maybe they are just trying to keep the customer/contract.. Who knows.. Still not cool she adjusts time.

Sorry I couldn't help with the loading process. You're post was a breath of fresh air I ran across.

tucker Thanks this.
  5. FreightlinerGuy

FreightlinerGuy Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Great Lakes, USA
    I don't think he has. I don't think it's because he doesn't want to though.

I think he just doesn't know if that's appropriate which is why he posted this etiquette question. He's curious if it's standard for guys to come in to pickup stuff, and if unsure how to operate to ask for assistance in loading/operating from the UR guys.

6. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    At my local UR, it's hit or miss when it comes to asking for help with unfamiliar machinery. 90% of the time, the staff acts like I should know how to operate everything.

I get more help from other drivers than from the yard employees.

Yes, I have a new cdl and no experience with heavy equipment but dam n. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

I hustle and am great in dealing with customers. I've also been flexible and do hotshot steel in between hotshot equipment loads.

My employer likes to send the non cdl drivers on the steel runs because they are cheaper. I do the steel runs that pass weigh stations for obvious reasons.

In reality, I know I am the relief cdl driver with no experience. The owner keeps me because 1) I'm cheaper than the veteran driver and 2) it's almost impossible for him to retain cdl drivers. He always needs at least one to keep the UR account.

I'm sticking with this "little bit of everything' commission only job for a year so I can get on local with Pepsi or a food company.

I love moving machines and steel. And I love the chains. But, I can't live on $600/ week. I was born at night but not last night. I'm worth more than what I'm getting but I can't be a job hopper so I'm sucking it all up, getting experience and when local companies and their insurance can take me, I'll move to an hourly job.

FreightlinerGuy Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Doing_flatbed_nc you don't need year experience for food service. Some of those companies are hurting for drivers and even hire with only a cdl permit.
    Sygma Network
    Lily
    Golden State Foods
    Reinhart Foodservice
    McLane Company
    Sysco
    Hadden House
    U.S. Foods
    May not be on the websites, but they hire new cdl grads & cdl permit drivers.

Doing_flatbed_nc Thanks this.
  8. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Funny stuff...I got a lifetime of "how the heck do i start its"
    Once you master those, you'll have a bunch of "where the f is the parking break?"....I moved a new john deere excavator the other day, and it was either the I or the S that got it moving...all wierd buttons on this unit...

You mentioned the skid steers...I got in one, it already had the seat belt buckled, so i figured "ok, one mechanism down" what else...I got in and out of that dang thing 45 times till 30 minutes later I figured out that the seat belt needed to be unhooked, then rehooked....eeesh!

You mentioned the lifts...I cranked my self all the way to the clouds one day, and couldnt get down...apparently I used the battery power to start the unit to get myself up...Once up there was no power to get down, or start it...looked like an idiot that day!!!! LOL

I think you'll always have these issues...I couldnt shut off a ol cat excavator once, turns out, you needed to reach down and pull back on the gas pedal to kill it...there was a notch/snap like it was meant to be!!! wierd

For christs sake I stopped to help a old man change a tire on his lincoln and I couldnt get the dang tire off the ground with his jack!! Turns out, theres a airbag system overide button in the trunk....Once I found that, the tire just tucked up into the wheel well all by itself....

I think its never ending bud

9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Yep the switch is on the drivers side inside the trunk I own a Lincoln lol

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I seem to have issues with the really old stuff. First one was an old CAT 250 excavator that was made in Belgium or Denmark. Not a lick of english on any of the buttons. Finally grabbed my phone and found a video on youtube. Then 2 days ago I had to move an old CAT 140 grader. I mean driveshafts instead of hydraulic hoses from the levers. Then I had to fold up the cable operated wing blade. Had to call the boss on that one and even he had to come over and pull levers until he figured it out. First time I had moved one with a wing blade at all so it was new to me.

If you have a new machine to pickup then before you get out of your truck look it up on your phone. Just looks like you are doing your paperwork.

11. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    An 80-85 boom is most likely going to be a Genie. Just make sure you have both E-stops (the red button) pulled out, The control on the main machine turned to "basket", then you're good to go to drive it. Make sure that whoever used it last didn't leave the axles extended. There is a switch in the basket the extends and retracts the axles- the have to be extended for the machine to boom all the way up and scope out. A lot of times customers will leave them like that when you go to pick one up. If they are you'll know....They will be too wide to load on any standard width bed.
    If you need to retract them it is much easier to do while moving the machine (forward or backward, doesn't matter) slowly while holding the retract switch. If they still won't go in all the way, sometimes you have to swing the boom out perpendicular (to the side 90 degrees) and lower the boom and basket onto the ground, to where the boom is actually taking some of the weight of the machine. This will allow you to retract the axles on that side. Once done, swing around 180 degrees and do the other side.

I used to work for a smaller version of UR, and before that hauled OSOW for 8 years, so if I can be anymore help, just shoot me a PM. Good luck!

Doing_flatbed_nc, truckdad and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.