upper bunk, Volvo 780

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by dwilliestyle, Aug 2, 2016.

1. dwilliestyle

dwilliestyle Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2016
    I Just got the truck two weeks ago. For the most part, great truck. Drives good, I-shift, good on fuel, etc.

The only thing I hate is the hard mattresses to sleep on for the bottom bunk. It says the upper weight limit for the top bunk is 250 while vehicle is in motion. Does this mean it can hold more weight while the truck is still? How much weight can it really hold up top? Would it be practical to put a small mattress up there to make it my bed and just leave the table up on the bottom?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Rode in Volvos during training and as I had that upper bunk, I can attest that it will hold well north of 250... LOL... Rolling and stopped.

I did that after going solo... Left the table up and "slept in the loft"... I liked it that way but the temp, lights, and radio controls are on the lower bunk and that moved me to the "first floor"... Now the "loft" has become the "attic"... Shrug.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    THIS

KB3MMX and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  5. dwilliestyle

dwilliestyle Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Well, I gotta ask about the "well over the 250" :p I'm a good 360 lbs (for now, dagnabbit!!)

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have a regular twin size thick home mattress on the upper bunk and never fold the table

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Well, not quite that far north of 250... :)
    But, not all that far behind you either... :-(

If concerned about it, maybe place a piece of plywood cut to size under the mattress, with a 2x6 across the front edge to help distribute the weight out across the full length of the bunk... The back edge is fully supported but the front is supported only at the corners... So, the weak link in the design is the front middle... Or place a rafter jack under the front middle... LOL ;/)

Volvo obviously isn't in tune with their customer base... LOL ... I saw that 250 sign and had to laugh.

KB3MMX and dwilliestyle Thank this.
  8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Maybe they figure that anyone north of 250 won't attempt to climb to the upper bunk anyway. :)

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I use a blow up air mattress up stairs and leave my table down

10. TANKn8er

TANKn8er Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Glad I wasn't the only one curious on this lol, just got me a 780 and was planning on leaving the table up, but I wanted to make sure that the upper bunk would hold up so I turned here lol

11. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Dang had to read that again could have sworn it said blow up doll the first time! Lmao

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.