VED12 Engine fan keeps running

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by RoadPirate, Feb 24, 2012.

1. RoadPirate

RoadPirate Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Camden, SC
    I Have an 06 VN 780 with a ved 12 engine the engine fan will not shut off.
    even when cold ie first started. The air conditioning system seems fine
    and i cant detect anything else obviously wrong anyone got any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Repete

Repete Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2012
    I would say that your fan clutch or hub locked up? Having my replace as I type this didn't want it all to come apart and go thru radiator

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    fan clutch servo. it's a known prob with the 06 d12

unhook the air line going to the fan clutch, then start the truck (cold with the ac off) and check to see if NO AIR is coming out of the line then the servo is bad also if no air then check the wiring going to the servo. could just be a lose wire

no air = fan ON..... air = fan OFF

5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    yesterday had the same problem with FH12 cabover. D12D engine. Fan clutch stuck after truck had been sat for this winter. Clutch bearing was rusty and got stuck. I had to change faulty clutch

6. Graglor

Graglor Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Langley, bc.
    Follow the air line from the fan clutch. It will lead you to the solenoid. Unplug the two wire harness from the solenoid and manually jump power and ground. If the fan releases, it's your Ac high Pressure switch. If it doesn't, disconnect the air line from the clutch fan and repeat. If air is at the line it's the clutch fan. If air isn't coming out of the line, it's the solenoid.

7. dcc_BTT_Trucker

dcc_BTT_Trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Turn The ignition key to accessory and listen for any air leaks. The fan will not engage if it does not get enough air to the fan clutch air supply line. I found that the brass fitting on the fan clutch was cheap and barely holding the air supply line in place. The new valve was about $4.00

A bad or leaking fan clutch will not turn your fan on when the engine reaches 210 degrees. On a hot day your temp will continue to climb to 240, 250 cooking water hose and seals. Also your A/C may not cool if your fan is unable to engage. You may get cool air at about 60 mph because the forced air is turning the fan fast enough to make the A/C compressor think the fan is working.

8. truckdriver1234

truckdriver1234 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2012
    I have 2006 Volvo ved12 there is no air line , this is electric fan keep running no fault

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    my 06 volvo d12 has a green airline going to the fan

10. Meho1969

Meho1969 Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2012
    St Louis, MO
    I don't know if you have tried to take care of that issue, but I have a 07 Volvo with a D12 engine and I thought that my fan was broke since it was running all the time... well good news... Its not, the fans on these thing are electrical, they dont shut off... so there is really nothing you can do, as long as it is running its a good thing...

11. tomek

tomek Bobtail Member

May 7, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I have it in my 2007 d12 and it's constantly on. few mechanics told me to replace it for new one which is 1200$ plus labor but I'm wondering if it's necessary

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.