Video: Fuel Tanker Fire, Alberta

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Runawayscreaming, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Runawayscreaming

Runawayscreaming Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    June 30, 2015. Fuel tankers burning after collisions are an all-too-common sight on Alberta Highway 63 (aka, Tarsand Highway of Death). Comments by driver, who was lucky to survive this one south of Fort McMurray:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    magoo68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    This "highway of death" BS is typical of todays society of 'shuffle the blame'. I've driven 63 MANY times, mostly in winter and there is NOTHING wrong with that highway. The highway is fine, it's the people that drive on it that are the problem. How is speeding and passing on a solid line the fault of the highway?. Those are the two main causes of accidents on 63. Once it's twinned all the way and the accidents keep coming, what are you going to blame then?. Sure there won't be the head ons with separate lanes but people will STILL drive to fast (maybe even worse than now). When will people start taking responsibility for their own actions rather than blaming someone or something else....I know never.

seabring and Runawayscreaming Thank this.
  4. Runawayscreaming

Runawayscreaming Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    Indeed, when The Highway of Death is twinned it will have to be re-named The Twinned Highway of Death. The never-ending cavalcade of death and destruction on Highway 63 is 100% caused by the Xtreme Idiocy of the drivers on it, not the highway. Highway 63 is the newest major highway design in Alberta and it has the best sight lines of any highway in Alberta.

Photo of the result of a collision between a fuel tanker and another truck on The Highway of Death, February, 2014. This is a straight section of Highway 63 with very long sight lines:

[​IMG]
    Both truck drivers died at the scene. The fuel truck driver was burned alive while asking for help.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Licensed to kill Thanks this.
  5. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    This one the SUV driver was coming out of the 881, he was just an idiot and turned right in front of the tanker. Nothing to do with the highway.

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    About 12 years ago I went up there with a load of Pepsi on a Friday evening. It was really entertaining watching all the traffic coming at me heading out for the weekend. People passing on hills and such. I thought the same thing back then, it was a nice wide highway, just the clowns on it were the problem.

7. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    That's the point. It rarely IS the highway, but rather the idiotic drivers but people like to blame something OTHER than those responsible. In this case, it's a highway. In most cases, it a gun that is at fault for the idiot miss using it. Sad times that will continue to get worse.

8. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Yep, blame it on the inanimate object. Humans are infallible, don't cha' know!

I miss the days when people actually owned up to being responsible for their actions. Now, if you take responsibility for your actions, you are branded an idiot, or worse, a crimnal. Deny you made a mistake and place the blame on something else and your are the victim, instead. Sigh...

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Ironically, that section is twinned with a very wide median.

nate980 and Licensed to kill Thank this.
  10. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    That was at the junction oh 63 and 881 wasn't it?

11. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.