Volvo 780 making popping noise when we turn hard right or left

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Gram25, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Gram25

Gram25 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I posted this in another thread too, I thought I was in the VOLVO thread but I wasn't.. Sorry.

I know there is another thread about this same thing but it is old and I don't know if anyone still reads it.
    We have the same exact problem with our truck. We have a 2007 Volvo 780. My husband has been all under our truck checking everything out.. Nothing is loose.

We just had new king pins and bushings installed. Maybe 6 months ago. Just a couple weeks ago we had had it in the shop in Texas and had the whole front spring system replaced. We also had new airbags and leveling valves replaced.
    we picked it up and went to try it out, When I turned right back into the dealership it popped again. The truck does ride better because the springs were worn out but evidently that was not what caused our problem. We have looked, pulled prodded on everything under out truck trying to make sure nothing was loose. The steering box, the motor mounts, anything my husband can think of .. we have checked. I have walked beside it while he was swerving the truck to see if I could hear where the popping is coming from. It sounds more from the front of truck

We drove it yesterday to see if it was still popping, (we are at home right now. ) and it is still doing it.. We went into an abandoned subdivision and rode around swerving from the left to the right.. It pops really loud when we swerve left or right. He took the shocks off of it and we are going to drive it just a bit to see if it pops without them to see if it may be the shocks. i know I can't run without shocks.. it's just to see if there is a problem with them. I think they were recently replaced also.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    What type of pop? How loud and also if you increase the speed does the popping speed up? Or is just when you make a turn?

4. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    U bolts loose, give them a snug see if it goes away.

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Possible power steering hear box is loose it makes same noise as bad spring bushings. Either this or cab mounts are going

Gram25 Thanks this.
  6. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
  7. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Does it do it without a trailer?

The reason I ask is that the Volvo I drive will make a popping sound when the 5th wheel starts to get dry. Drop trailer, grease, hook back up, and all is well. Until next time it starts to get dry.

The popping sounds like it is coming from the front, but greasing the 5th wheel cures it every time.

8. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    start with re-torquing the steering box bolts this has been an issue with volvo they will seem tight but they are not.Had the same issue with my 2006 volvo

9. macsb388

macsb388 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2012
    davenport, fl
    Grease the 5th wheel.

10. Gram25

Gram25 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We just put brand new springs under the truck. everything that had to do with springs are new..

11. Gram25

Gram25 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It pops even when we are not hooked to our trainer. Bobtail and it does it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.