Volvo D12 d engine no response when disconnecting camshaft speed sensor

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bravoo67, Mar 18, 2012.

1. bravoo67

bravoo67 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Brooklyn NY
    Hi How are you? There are 2 engine speed sensors on D12 - camshaft and crankshaft I believe.
    When disconnecting the one on the front of the engine - camshaft sensor, there is totally no engine response,
    but when I disconnect the second sensor on the back of the engine - crankshaft sensor, engine shuts down.
    Is it normal? Shouldn't they kind of "replace" one another while the other one is disconnected?

Engine has really slow throttle response with no codes, codes come in only when I start disconnecting sensors.

Have been whole week out of work but none of the mechanics I know seems to have the answer to my problem :(

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    the main sencor is cam sensor. crankshaft sensor is used for selfballancing.

If you run engine without cam sensor, engine runs in limp home mode, if youi run engine without crancksaft position sensor, engine may run rouhg with some power loss, w/o both the sensors engine stalls

bravoo67 Thanks this.
  4. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    ti fond a problem look for diagnost man with VCADs Pro ore Tech Tool software

bravoo67 Thanks this.
  5. bravoo67

Mar 15, 2012
    Brooklyn NY
    Thanks, have to check it on monday..

One question thought..

I cant find wires from these sensors on the ECU plug. There are 2 plugs on my ECU and none of them seems to have connection with camshaft sensor.

Could it be a broken wire somewhere on the way from the sensor to ECU or they go somewhere else than ECU??

6. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Use the dashboard computer to read fault codes

bravoo67 Thanks this.
  7. loadsear

loadsear Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Reopening thread here, I have a 2008 volvo 670 with a D12 engine and I'm currently having a problem similar to the one described here. The truck starts and runs but at the moment of passing a speed bump or hitting a pothole on the road the truck goes to shut off (no always, sometimes if you the accelerator is pressed down it won't shut off). The dash indicate the speedometer shutting off from ongoing speed to zero. That's the indicator for me to accelerate so it won't shut down.

do you have any suggestions about the nature of this problem? much appreciated. thanks

8. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    I recommand you to have a close look in the battery box first, loose battery connection or loose wire.
    Ben

9. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    there are positive and negative wires that run to cabin from battery box. As i remember 10 ore 16 mm2.

They may crack inside insolation. Positive and negative studs are on pass side of firewall, hidden with air filter.

Negative wire is usually wight, positive is usually red.

Other weak spot of Volvo is engine wiring near MCFC connector, dr.side, where wires run from cabin to chassis.

Volvo use to install soft cabin suspention for smooth ride and thtas why thin wires crack/

10. E70x

E70x Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Did you fix problem?
    I have same symptoms as you described.

11. bravoo67

Mar 15, 2012
    Brooklyn NY
    Didnt fix it. Sold that truck. Sorry

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.