Volvo D12 Reman Engine

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Verdel, Jan 4, 2015.

1. M&KMIKE

M&KMIKE Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    As Mike above states there are 4 levels. 3 rebuilds and reman engine. However. There should be no cost difference between dealers in North America. Volvo sets the pricing. I work at a dealership as well. The reman has 2 year warranty as a parts purchase and 3 year unlimited mile warranty if installed by dealer. If I were you I would strongly consider another engine than a D12. I know the 13 is a far superior engine and more reliable. More parts readily in stock at dealers and not as labor intensive to repair.

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    D12 are very reliable and really easy to fix.

we use to do inframe usually. The most difficult thing is to remove cylinder head. Heavy thing. it is usually not worn, but check every valve for damage. The weakest thing in head.

Pistons are usually ok, but cylinder linings and rings we change,

Crankshaft is made of good iron and it is enought to change bearings.

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    The tandem pump is a pain. Have to remove the alternator and the ac compressor. Hell even the oil pressure sensor is back there. 2 egr valves always causing problems. Low torque low horsepower less efficient more fuel consumption. Doing an inframe on an engine is almost the same doesn't matter Cummins, Detroit, Cat, Volvo the basics are the same. Its the maintenance items that eat up profit. I owned 23 trucks before retiring from that end of the industry. Cost to operate is the factor. I am into engines everyday except Sundays. I know the cost of replacement parts. You don't do an inframe on an engine every year

6. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I used to change pump w/o removing this stuff. not so easy, reallly

7. M&KMIKE

M&KMIKE Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    The huge headache to install a 13 in place of a 12 would be nowhere near the benefit. The 13 is a different emissions level. Either a DPF and all supporting hardware and software would have to be installed, or you'd have to pay big bucks for a custom program to get around the emissions, which could lead to huge fines later. That's aside from the fact that they use two totally different engine harnesses including the interface connector to the chassis harness. Honestly, that swap would be a nightmare.

The D12 is arguably the best engine Volvo has ever built. I know quite a few that have gone almost 2 million without an overhaul. Why mess with perfection? Just change the EGR valves every few years, and you have a very solid efficient engine. Not to mention, parts availability for a D12 are no less than a D13. They're not that old.

8. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I wasn't saying replace a 12 with a 13 I was saying avoid the truck with that engine all together. If you still work at the dealership and are a tech you should know first hand the 12 liter issues. Owning and operating a truck now has to be run like a business. Cost to operate is a major factor. If you look atcit from a business standpoint the D12 is a money pit. Look at the price of the oil pressure/ temp sensor cost vs one for a 13 liter. The egr valve design is totally flawed. If you are a tech you know there is no guided diagnostics support in VCADS. You have to refer to IMPACT for troubleshooting. A lot of techs fail to diagnose correctly. There are no software updates or support for the D12 either to fix the flaws in the software. And using E Service for a 12 liter I just won't comment on...much the same as a 16 liter. And like I said if you are still at a dealer then you see everyday the people come in with a 12 liter and decline repairs due to cost.

9. M&KMIKE

M&KMIKE Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    I know exactly the issues we face. The only ones being egr valves that fail and oil leaks at the front cover. Other than that, the D12 is a great engine. Definitely the exact opposite of a money pit. I'd rather not use guided diagnostics anyway. Funny how if the computer doesn't do the work for you, people begin to get completely lost. The D12 is NOT a money pit, and is sought after by many drivers because in reality it's the exact opposite. There are no flaws in the software. As long as they've updated to the 213xxx level for EGR issues, no software updates are needed. There shouldn't be any need to use e-service for a D12. They're simple. I was wrenching when they changed from the D12 B, to C, D, and now the 13, and the D12 is the most solid and simple engine they've ever used.

Fact is the 12 is a great engine, and many wish they never changed.

minjitta Thanks this.
  10. TheEnglishMan

TheEnglishMan Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I was just discussing the durability of the d12 with TEC in Sparks NV. According to the service department there, the problem with the d12 is they last too long. It's not uncommon to see units with 1.4m miles without on overhaul. It's a very well engineered engine. My experience after 866k, the engine is rock solid. Wish the other bits on the truck were as well designed and built, mainly Meritor components. Biggest issue for USA d12 users is the timing adjustments made to meet emissions and the terrible EGR twins.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    minjitta Thanks this.
  11. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I'm not trying to call you out. But you have flaws in your reasoning. First as for tech support I meant not only just eservice but engineering support as well. There are many issues with the 12 liter platform and there is a reason it does not exist anymore. If you look at it purely from a mechanic's view you are spot on they are easy to work on and we see them daily in my shop. However if you are the owner of one or a fleet of them then you can see that the cost to operate is much higher than a 13 or even a 16 liter. I take it that you work for M&K, are probably feombthe Chicagoland or at least in the Midwest. If you look at the terrain out there it is flat. Here we have mountains steep long pulls. The complaints range from loss of power to excessive fuel consumption to overheating and beyong. The D12 is a low torque low horsepower engine that served a purpose 15 years ago but the technology is ancient in terms over the road trucking. As a fleet owner my highest expense is diesel. My second expense is drivers wages insurance etc. Third is the truck. Cost to operate is what we consider a variable expense but the cost for a D12 is approx 170% what a D13 is. That includes fuel oil changes periodic maintenance breakdowns etc. Other expenses you don't see are increased down time and lost revenue due to unavailable parts not in stock etc. As it is a discontinued platform and has been for a number of years dealer parts managers are required to maintain an inventory of parts that have a short shelf life. Volvo requires dealers every quarter to return parts that have sit their shelf for 12 months. That is if the dealer has failed to sell at least one in the 12 months preceding. I am not sure your position at your dealer but maybe a tech. So if you are under the impression that the cost stops with a couple parts and a few hours labor you sir, are way off track. You need to factor on all of the costs associated with operation as well. And I will admit running flat land vs running mountains is easier and will lead to lower operating costs. Those same trucks come out west and get towed in because the power plant just is not up to the task anymore. And if you ever get into compass and see just what parts availability is for D12 parts you can see the support for the 12 is dwindling. It will eventually disappear. The 12 liter engine is more suited to a regional/local vocation than long haul. Also get your hand s on the failure analysis report for 12 liter engines and look at the rise of metal fatigue as failure. Even major fleets are disposing of 12 liter equipped truck in favor of 13 liter trucks. Cost is the #1 factor.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.