Volvo headlights dim

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dna Mach, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Roadking58

Roadking58 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2010
    Surrey,BC
    I have a 96 wia volvo and sought the advice of Daniel Stern to help with the poor output of my headlights. I'm in the process of getting the E- Code headlights from Europe and his relay kit and Ostram bulbs. Great information on vehicle lighting on his site. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    '96 volvo is without LCM.

E-headlamps are avalable for US volvo iup to '98. On 98 volvos European headlamps are not available for US trucks, but.... with some bodywork '90-s Ford Transit headlamps fit.

[​IMG]

If you wanna convert Version-2 Volvo to EU headlamps you cant swap headlamp unit from EU COE trucktor, but you can use low beam projector. But European low beam bulb is H7 ore D2S for HID headlamp. European projector is not brighter DOT appr., but patterns differ.

This is my '93 Taurus converted to European HID. I used projectors from wreced yard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kansas Thanks this.
  4. Roadking58

Roadking58 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2010
    Surrey,BC
    Pablo-UA those headlights look great. The WIA series headlights i have on my 1996 truck from the factory are plastic and come from the 86-93 Volvo 240 series cars which volvo used on their trucks. I ordered the original OEM glass e-Code headlights from Skandix. Part #1372394 and part # 1372395.
    Daniel pointed out one other problem.

Be careful if you buy used lamps -- it's not such a big deal if you have
    to replace a cracked lens or a deteriorated reflector, since these parts
    are available separately, but you MUST make sure to get
    correct-side-of-road lamps. Lamps from the UK or Australia or Japan are
    NOT acceptable, and a few less-than-scrupulous idiots in North America
    have tried selling wrong-side-of-road lamps here. Just say "no". What you
    need are "LHD" or "Continental European" headlamps. If you're looking at
    used lamps that I haven't specifically pointed you at, the question to ask
    the seller (or determine for yourself, if you have close-up pictures of
    the lenses) is:

Is there an arrow pointing to the right ---> near the (E2) mark on the
    headlamp lens? If yes, the headlamps are for the wrong side of the road
    and are NOT suitable. If no arrow, go ahead.

5. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    yeah, I know about this. to find used parts on UK online JYs is easy, becoue they speak Engish LOL! But more useful things are in Germany and In Poland. But they do not speak English!!! Why!!! Anyway I use to get parts there too. There is the big used trucks parts market looking like very big junk yard near Braunschweig, but to get something usefull there for cheap you need to be there...

Condencer lens is made of Glass usually and if it is not broken, be sure projector is Okay. For US and Europe the same projectors are used but there is a shiel inside with two positions - for US and for EU. In US position there is no right sholder light to see right side of the road for longer distance.

6. gummy bear

gummy bear Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2008
    kentucky
    I had to get a new hood installed on my company truck. Well, even with brand new headlight assemblies on the truck, the lights were still way too low. Adjusted them per the instructions posted above (as I'd done with the other lights) and the ability to see is back, again :)

7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Is that Version-II Volvo? They made headlamps with tinted glass. it is 20% of brightness loss so we got aftermarket headlamp glaces and we did change.

8. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

I drive 2010 and 2011 Volvo's every night. Down dark 2 lane roads to the Refinery in Warren, Pa and luckily have no issues with the lighting.

9. DonJuan360

DonJuan360 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have 2004 630 I tried putting HID but one kept going out and a few day and i used two relays, anyway to prevent this ? HID seem the best solution

10. Magnum1

Magnum1 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    Ok, here it goes. To all who say that hid is bad and you can not see at night. To all who say that you'll get the CEL/similar with the hid. Plus, others. = you're wrong. 98% . I sell hid kits. I install hid kits. I also
    Advice not to buy anything under $150 and above $300. Under $150 the quality is not there, over $300 is overpriced. Talking from personal experience here ; have two of my own cars, in which hid is installed as the low beam. One of my car's uses the same bulb for the
    High and low beams bi's. - this car has the wiring harness and the kits are more expensive for this type of the set up. My Honda motorcycle has hid kit. My brothers acura has original crappy hid kit, which is going out soon. My fog lights have the hid kit. Now, my rig has the hid kit. Installed them all my self. Sell them too. Now, the brightness of the hid bulb will Be dependent on the kalvin temp of the light , not to be mistaken with the C or F temperature. Hid can be installed into any headlight that has the removable bulb. I have the 2007 Volvo vnl780 with the hid kit and had no need to go to the dealer to pay them for the reprograming truck's computer. That's another reason why the price was quated at the higher number. Kit carries 3 year warranty. Hid's work fine in the Projected or halogen headlights.

11. jerrymc

jerrymc Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Rock Hill, SC
    Magnum1 I have a 2010 vnl780, what would it cost me for one of your kits including installation instructions? Send me a private msg if you prefer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.