Volvo VNL 670 bunk a/c and heat quit working

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by spicyville1, Apr 17, 2013.

1. spicyville1

spicyville1 Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I parked the truck over the weekend and when I returned the batteries were almost dead. I was able to start the Rig Master so I let it charge for about 10 minutes and truck started. What I did notice was my bunk a/c and clock were not working. When I hit the fan switch to turn on the a/c the red light started flickering on and off and the buzzer started beeping. Not a steady beep which the manual says would be "protect mode".Can anyone help me with this? I have checked all the fuses and all are good. I have power to the unit and I can turn on the dome light with the switch on the controller yet the clock is not working nor the fan switch. Seems like it is in some sort of protect mode. Just do not know where to go from here. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    You might need new batteries

spicyville1 Thanks this.
  4. spicyville1

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks but batteries are not the issue.

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Check the wires make sure you are getting all proper grounds and powers what year is the truck did all the fuses have power mainly fuse f1 thru f7 those are the LECM fuses If one does not have power the LECM will act up they usually go on with the battery protection mode everytime I do a starter I have to jump the fuses in order for everything to work. Let me know what year your truck is and what kind of engine you have also check underneath the bunk behind the driver seat right behind the side signal its hidden away make sure you check all the connections for corrosion let me know what turns up and if you need any more help

spicyville1 Thanks this.
  6. spicyville1

Nov 18, 2012
    It is a 2006 vnl 670 with a Cummins ISX 475 HP. I will check those fuses and let you know if that was the issue. Thsnks

7. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    to get it working again you have to take the control unit out and unplug it for a few seconds then plug in it will reboot. It is stuck in protective mode. Also run a ground wire from the cab to the battery this stopped all my cab electrical probelms.

Krazymonkeys and spicyville1 Thank this.
  8. spicyville1

Nov 18, 2012
    I will do that. Thanks so much because everything I have tried has not helped. Thank you again and I will let you know if that works.

9. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    i have the same year,engine, & model truck it should work have done it many times

spicyville1 Thanks this.
  10. spicyville1

Nov 18, 2012
    Yep, unplugged it for a few seconds and it started working again! Thank you all for the help!

11. Burdisco

Burdisco Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    2oo5 isx 500 with Zf auto. I have had the same problem. There are six grounds on this "thing". Two starter to batteries, one at each end of the four. The main ground. One from the frame to the batteries. One from the engine to the frame and the ground that goes from the harness to the engine by the starter. I had to change the batteries to a higher cca. I been taking the gang plugs apart and cleaning corrosion and putting dielectric grease in every plug. Even inside the cab - it's pathetic I own a Hino that was 16 yrs old and had 1.8m k on it before I was forced to stop driving it because the frame broke and I never had wiring issues like this thing does.
    Disconnecting the batteries also resets the "computers".

disoba Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.