VOX wiring?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by TheDude1969, Feb 7, 2016.

1. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    A little background: A friend asked me to setup his radio like mine, to be able to play a sound board app (noise toy) on his phone and feed it into his radio. So I disconnected his P.A. jack and wired it to the 4 pin mic jack with a bluetooth receiver out the back. Works fine, but he now wants it to operate without keying the mic (and so would I) but I never thought about installing a VOX.

I noodled on the idea for a while and wonder if its even possible without using a switch, and without making the microphone voice operated as well, or is there a better way?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Depending on the radio, either electronic or relay switching is used for rx and tx. Something has to trigger the tx switching circuit to transmit, whether its vox, or a regular 'ol ptt. Some sort of switch would have to be used...
    Im not familiar with noise toys and all, how does it work currently? App on the phone sends signal via bluetooth, into the radios audio circuit, key the mic and noise toy transmits?

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  4. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Just what we need, another moron with a noise toy to piss everyone off.

5. TheDude1969

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    That's exactly how it works. The complaint about doing it this way is timing when to key the mic, too early is a dead key until it starts, too late you cut into the sound clip mid-sentence. The idea of using a vox would start transmitting as soon as the audio starts and ends independent of keying the mic.

Bout Z Thanks this.
  6. TheDude1969

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    That's not the goal, rather I use short funny/famous clips from movies or cartoons to make fun of other annoying cb'ers in a kind hearted way. You'd be surprised how often it works. example 'I ain't got no panties on' gets a clip of grandpa Simpson confused about how he got his underwear off without removing his pants. If thats worse than the no panties guy then I apologize.

handlebar Thanks this.
  7. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

It's also easy to incorporate a store-and-forward in the "audio out" line from the, errrr, annoyance device. It's used onsome simplex repeaters and dispatch consoles so that the first couple of spoken syllables aren't lost during the PL sensing and transmit power-up & such. So it could be done, but what would the user do to sense when the, errrrr, annoyance device is needed to be activated? BTW, nice going to the OP for figuring out how to use the existing rear panel jack for a parallel input.

Bout Z and TheDude1969 Thank this.
  8. TheDude1969

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Thanks handlebar, but I can't take credit for the rear jack, that was H&S Electronics, I only copied his work and added the bluetooth adapter.

Ideally he would only press the play button on his phone app, but I think I understand what your saying... preload the clip, then key the mic to unload it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.