Walmart Detention

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by STexan, Aug 27, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Does anyone know the facts about where Walmart will actually pay a carrier detention? I.e 3 hours? 4 hours? past the appointment time. And what sort of BS do they use to get out of it?

I'm not talking about detention agreement between the carrier and driver, I'm inquiring about the detention agreement(s) between shipper/carrier and Walmart

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HA.

Never hear of it. In fact you PAY walmart good money to unload.

A work around for me was to specifically work with a carrier with specific and special drop/hook authority into a Walmart DC. Ive sailed past 500 grumbling truckers dropped trailer and hooked out of them many times. But Im also recalling the times Ive had to dock and unload with money in hand to pay them for it.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    What does it matter between Walmart and the carrier if the driver gets paid detention?

I get paid detention after 2 hours past the appointment time.
    What do I care beyond that?

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It seems like 4 hours is some sort of threshold for them. The last 3 full loads I've taken into Walmart, I get the call at somewhere between 3.5 and 4 hours past the appointment time.

Drivers and carriers can not always be expected to go in with 5 hours remaining on their 14. That's too often simply not possible especially with multiple drop Walmart loads where each and every one will halt the truck for 3-4 hours (more if you count early arrival which you MUST) and threaten HOS violation trying to get somewhere safe to park well after dark, often in Bumfuk nowhere.

Walmart may be the fly in the ointment that pushes me back out of refrigerated trucking. I can tolerate a lot if BS but a month with 3 or 4 Walmart loads is a miserable and stressful month that pays crap by severely hampering any productivity capability.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. jackhartjr

jackhartjr Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    Its 4 hours! Do like me, screw them!

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's all well and good I suppose but how exactly does one "screw them"? Some sort of carrier consortium needs to tell Walmart how things need to change. If carriers are billing in long waits (doubt it) then they need to start passing much of that on to the drivers in the form of accessorial pay.

I understand Walmart is a "big customer" but they're not so big they can dump on every carrier who delivers their groceries that drive half their sales.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And the thing about Walmart is even small drops with maybe 6-10 pallets takes a minimum of 2.5 hours.

And I trash unions, but generally union lumpers don't mess around when compared to Walmart workers. And furthermore, you won't see any workers of "Latin Heritage" lumping trailers at Walmart. We can complain about the flood of illegals, but the fact is, they work twice as hard and twice as fast as the typical "slow-### white kid" working through college.

But I think the receiving clerk and office is as big a delay problem as the physical unloading process.

10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Further proof of why I said buck the reefer biz !
    Wal Mart is the big bully on the block and I give them some biz on the road cause I can get my truck in and out but they don't get a dimes worth of my money at home .

11. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    One of the customers that i use; when im being detained by rcvg stopoff, they'll pay $85 per hour after 2 hours, very nice. Being detained by receiver, (Wally world or whom ever), i keep it friendly, document my times (arrival, appointment time & departure time). call the shipper, then submit for billing. At times, i collect an extra 350-500 per week for these detentions.

No Clutch Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.