Watkins Refrigerated (lease purchase)

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by jacolbyhud, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Colt seavers

Colt seavers Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2015
    I was by the lakeland yard today didnt see any group that looked like orientation

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerNerd

TruckerNerd Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    I'm doing my own research I wanted in on the leasing program. It's milege pay but I'm telling you don't walk in thinking your driving 3k miles wkly. Don't care what anyone says. I have gotten 500 - 700 runs with 2.5 + day days to deliver. I'm not trying to stop you but try the company side first to understand what I'm talking about.

4. Colt seavers

Aug 4, 2015
    Im on the company side now lol and i know exactly what you mean they give you a decent run but the time to delivery is laughable but most recievers wont take you early so your just stuck taking a leisurely drive across states most of the time but i do trust this company which is why i would like to try the lease

TruckerNerd Thanks this.
  5. TruckerNerd

TruckerNerd Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Sounds like you have your mind made up. Then please keep us informed. Everyone knows their situation and how much risk they can handle. I will wish you success on your endeavor and I hope you've been crunching your numbers with your company trips. If you have Bob (good guy) realize not all DM's are like him.

Colt seavers Thanks this.
  6. Suncoast

Suncoast Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I was looking into this company for about a month before deciding to put in my application. I put it in 11 days ago, so I called Candice back yesterday and she said there still waiting for employment verification and criminal to come back. Ok so in 30 years I have been with a number of companies but I think Watkins now has the record for the slowest employment process! Today I also applied at ReedTMS, another company I have watched. He said he will have everything back before weeks end which feels normal to me. I really don't get it, I have never been arrested, my past employers are all friends that provide a glowing report, no points, 0 psa, no accidents, no tickets, 30 yrs in the industry, why the heck can't Watkins get moving? I called my recent employer and HR said no one has contacted them! I am feeling my first red flag with the administration of this company and think at this point I'm gonna pass.....

7. Colt seavers

Aug 4, 2015
    Did you apply company? I did and it was a very slow process as well actually had to keep on my recruiter because my last job was saying he same thing no contact had been made. Haven't ran into anything I don't like yet except that they don't run very hard but I get home a lot more so I except the trade off

8. Suncoast

Nov 18, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    No I applied L/P. I did a L/P from TRL back before Prime bought them, end of lease got the truck for $1.00 buy out but that was when some companies were honest. Before moving to Tampa I sold the truck but it served me well. In 2012 I leased with Wil-Tran and they did a bait and switch on me. They offered a selection of trucks from 2007 and newer so after orientation the only thing they offered was a brand new pete, plastic still on the seats, I knew I could not afford such a truck but when you fly out and stay thru orientation and the options are to fly back home and wait well, I had to try, Lost My Shirt on that deal!!! I would love to find one more honest deal to end my career with and then just sit on the porch! I was hoping Watkins can be that deal but it takes very little to scare me off these days. I think Watkins may have done just that. With my record I can company drive for almost anyone, I would like to get into just one more truck that I will own in a few yrs...

9. Colt seavers

Aug 4, 2015
    I understand and wish you the best of luck the lease guys i talk to dont complain but they all say it was better when it was sunco. Now that watkins brought in the mileage based pay they are making less but i know more than a few who paid off their trucks the trick now is to get a cheap truck that the limited miles will still pay for

10. SeanLyman

SeanLyman Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2012
    As an outsider looking in, I would suggest avoiding any mileage leases. Look at roadrunner or eagle and get a new truck with a warranty. The rates posted on page 2 of this thread would make me look elsewhere. The L/P guys I have followed on here only seem profitable on percentage leases with new equipment. Check out itaff's thread about Bruenger. His story spells it out very well. I wish you luck but I think you should definitely skip the mileage leases. Everything I have researched makes them look pretty bad

Colt seavers and TruckerNerd Thank this.
  11. Suncoast

Nov 18, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah almost all are bad these days, there are 2 or 3 out there that are fair however you must realize its a business and a startup at that, going home on weekends or buying that new flat screen is just not good business for your business! Anyways I gave up on Watkins and move on to ReedTMS, company driver. Not sure why Watkins feels that an experienced driver is going to sit and wait 3 or 4 weeks for them to get back to you. many drivers I know live week to week

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.