Wavier of subrogation, contract issues?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, Sep 20, 2016.

1. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Any other Company owners/Owner operators have issues with their insurance company and the "Wavier of Subrogation" clause???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    Some insurance carriers may have issues with Waivers, but not sure why, unless it's a special form from the shipper in lieu of the standard waiver wording. We typically charge $ 250 for the waiver.....to go along with the A/I.......which is typically $ 500.

4. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Over the years we have run into a contract here or there that has wording that our carrier doesn't like, over the last 12 months it seems as though more and more contracts are being written this way, just wondered what others are doing, or "if" nobody else really reads the contract?

Basically some of these contracts are written to absolve and insulate the broker from ANY and ALL possible claims, and there are certain instances where the claim would not be the auto carriers responsibility.

5. calnca

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    As a carrier we PREFER not to give up our (and your) right to subrogate back against an entity that may be at fault.........think distributor employee forcing you to back/park here/there, and while under his direct guidance you run over another driver........the waiver prevents us/you from seeking restitution from the responsible party in some cases

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Exactly, SO, what are you doing about it? Just not hauling for that broker? Seems like some larger brokers now have this wording limiting our accessibility to certain loads.

7. calnca

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    It more than likely is coming from the attorney or risk manager for the broker.....they only change their ways when the majority of insurance carriers won't accept their specialized wording

8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    My opinion, brokers are doing this now more often because they can. I notice the contracts become more favorable to the broker/shipper as the work slows down. More carriers are getting desperate, so why not transfer even more of the liability to the carrier, it lets the broker operate even cheaper so their profit margin remains stable while we (truck carriers) shoulder even more of the burden.

9. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    To answer your original question Stan, I have not had to deal with this recently, although I did ask my insurance carrier and they would prefer we do not waive our rights, understandably since it limits their ability to recover damages from the actual party that is liable. In the future my position will be not to sign these contracts unless there is a real good reason to accept the extra risk, either a high revenue stream or I have no other choice to pay the bills.

10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    If this trend continues it will end up badly again for the truck carriers because insurance companys will have to charge higher premiums to us to off set the extra risk that the truck is taking on.
    In essence to some extent we are insuring the brokers.
    I own and run a number of different service bussness and have never seen the rules of the game so backwards as my car haul operation.

11. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Bingo, exactly right Hulld, we are basically covering their ### 100% I could pocket a nice chunk of change if somebody else was paying all of my insurance!!!

Terry270 and brian991219 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.