Ways trucking companies steal your money.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Midnightrider909, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    This is how I lost the most money. My first company advertised a tuition reimbursement to sign on with them. We get there and half way through orientation they tell us there's a problem. It turns out paying cash to go to trucking school at Community College was not reimbursable. I went to the registrar and got every record, every receipt but still wasn't good enough. Between me and my co-driver we lost $7800. If a company is promising you anything you better get it in writing. Please post the most ingenious and egregious ways you have been screwed over by a trucking company. Truckers need to know what they're up against.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Reason for edit: Elaboration
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    So how did they "steal" your money? They may reimburse you for the costs spread out over time, but they are not required to reimburse you.

In their advertisement did they say all schools, if so, you should have asked for their records showing what schools are covered and not covered.

You went to a Trucking School on your own. What if you did not sign on to a company that did not do reimbursement would they also have stolen from you?

4. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    The company we signed on with promised us a tuition reimbursement that was supposed to be paid out in installments over a one-year span. We went to Community College which is a more strict CDL program than any of these private schools. The reason they gave us for stealing our money was because we had paid for truck driving school ourselves rather than borrow money to pay for truck driving school.

NavigatorWife and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  5. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Sounds like they taught you a valuable lesson. Ask the right questions. You are in orientation. I say move on, but I don't see any stealing going on.

6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Still did you ask in writing for the "types" of schools they reimburse before you signed on? This would then have been more of a legal ground if they say they covered a CC and did not.

They may have "changed" policy on you to your disadvantage but they did not take any money out of your pocket. They are not required to reimburse any monies by Federal Law, they do that to simply draw in drivers. That is strictly up to the company that is advertising.

So they did not reimburse you and they did not steal from you. All they can be accused of is changing policy.

As to a Community College being more strict that would be a personal opinion. I paid out of my pocket also and went to a "Public" school yet I felt that I got what I paid for. My school was five weeks long..

Now you mention your "First" company, how long ago was this?

7. Iggly

Iggly Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The company my be within the letter of law or contract, but they have shown how much they value their word. I would say "thank you for the opportunity" and move on to another company. A positive is that you own your CDL and have no commitment to this company.

8. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    I don't think I explained the situation good enough. Before we signed on with them we told them what school we had gone to and they said no problem we will reimburse you for that. They advertised a tuition reimbursement program. We got there went through orientation provided all of the documents that they said they required for that program. We got in the truck and a month later we get something over the peoplenet telling us that they would not hold up their end of the bargain. There is no way I could have been more thorough unless I brought my own attorney in and drawn up a document and the CEO of the company sign it. All of your arguments are basically saying these companies can change policy/rip us off whenever they want to regardless of their promises. The fact is from all the other horror stories I have read from other starter companies ours was far from the worst in fact I put a post up for them in the favorite trucking company category promoting them. But the fact remains that they pulled a bait-and-switch on us and we are poorer by $7,800 because of it. We are six months into driving for our second company and they have honored all of their promises.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Reason for edit: Make better
    Toomanybikes, Dharok and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    Changing a company policy after you have signed on is a breach of contract. The fact was it was the only company we knew of that did not require us to go out with separate Trainers for 8 weeks so we could stay together. That meant more to us than the $8,000 so we put up with their bad behavior and put in our year, got our experience and moved on. The purpose of this thread is to alert other drivers on how they might get scammed by their company. I'm not asking for sympathy from anybody.

10. Iggly

Iggly Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Just read an earlier post where you explained what happened with WS. You made the best choice for you given what happened, kept positive, got your year and moved on. You have my admiration for keeping positive and thanks for giving a heads up to others.

Lepton1 and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  11. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    And if you read the whole post you'll know that somebody replied to it and had the same thing happen to them. This is a pattern. I heard recently they're offering a $20,000 sign on bonus to teams. Any team going there better bring their own lawyer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.