West Side Transport, Inc. - Cedar Rapids, Ia.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by wondera, Jan 22, 2007.

1. wondera

wondera Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Does anyone know anything about West Side Transport out of Ceder Rapids IA.? Do they require loading and unloading by hand or is it on pallets. Forced dispatch etc. Anything about them. I get the impression it's a good co. Will appreciate any info. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Wondera,I cant help you with West Side Trans.I did notice something on your post that confuses me.Most freight is loaded on pallets.However this does not mean it will not require hand unloading.A lot of times it has to be broken down onto smaller pallets to fit the consignees requirements.This is where most of the driver unloading is at today.Most trucking cos. will pay for you to hire a lumper to do this job.Ninety percent of these loads are at grocery warehouses.Other loads are sometimes not on pallets,but must be put on pallets at the consignee,same deal here,hire a lumper.When you hire on with a co.ck.to see whether they pay for lumper service.

4. wondera

wondera Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks for info on unloading etc. but I was looking for info on West Side Transport as a company, I guess no-one out there has anything on them. Thanks again.

5. cfhardin2

cfhardin2 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2009
    tilton,il
    Looking to drive for west side any heads up that i need to know before i join. anyone know anything about the company, trucks ,orientation etc.....

6. childlessdad1943

childlessdad1943 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Elkhart,in
    I have driven for them for almost 3 years now and have had no probs. The only freight you may have to unload is office furniture they pay for lumpers for grocerie whse. They are slow right now,as many co. are, but they are good folks.
    Been truckin' over 40 years and had been with some really bad companies.

7. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I ve drove for westside about 4 years. Not too bad of a company. Their trucks are Columbias and Cascadias which do between 60 when you first get your truck, up to 70 mph with good fuel mileage.They use the fuel incentive program. Some of their trailers are junk. the 38 and 39 series. You will run I-70,I-74. and I-80 alot. The people in Cedar Rapids are very approachable, even the owner Don Vogt, will come shake your hand and talk with you. Very little driver unload unless you get a Hon furniture load with driver assist. They also have Prepass Plus. Their Safety Dept. doesn t have the sharpest tools in the shed either!

8. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    Hi, when i went there i musta goof up my app, cause they said they didnt me at the time, that was when fresh outa school, said they wanted with one year verf, o-well ,but that was back in the 90's i'm go back and see what they have too say , mayby second time around a charm, mayby not, :biggrin_25512: Everett.

9. Redgreen01

Redgreen01 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Maquoketa
    My dad quit there about almost 8 years ago and he drove and worked in the washbay too but and hauled for the grain operation too when the needed drivers I liked it but he quit becuase he wanted to move back to maquoketa he and my mom seperated in the early 90's and he moved to ceder rapids and drove for them for a couple years and then moved to the washbay for almost tens years and drove when they needed a extra driver and he died a about thee years ago I wish he was still alive he could drive with the best of them.
    p.s. his name was Jeff Fultner if anyone new him when he worked there

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  10. buddyfromri

buddyfromri Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Redgreen01 I worked with your dad at west side and he was a good friend of mine. I even moved out there with my daughter. Don't know if you remember me my name is Milton. He was a good man. Please send me an e-mail so I can talk to you in private. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. milton whittaker # hotmail . com no spaces

11. buddyfromri

buddyfromri Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That was # not # they wouldn't let me post the e-mail without spaces

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.