Western Express Flatbed Lease

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by UpstateFreight, Apr 23, 2016.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    if you dont have atleast a year OTR what makes you think you will it make as a lease operator? not trying to sound like a dick but at least get some experience under your belt and learn the business before you jump in something as serious as signing a written legal agreement with one of these mega companies who sole reason for starting these lease programs is to benefit them not you or any other driver for that matter

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    So, you thought, why not sign a lease purchase with one of the most notoriously bad flatbed carriers in the nation for $1.05 per mile + FSC (which is virtually non-existent these days) was a good alternative????... OR, you didn't know Western Express is the bottom of the barrel as far as national flatbed carriers......(even worse, you failed to do any research).....

Did you at least look for alternatives...even with less than 1 yr....you could go to a better company as a driver, finish your 1st year and THEN, apply to a reputable organization...ATS, Sammons, Schneider (dry van), Interstate (dry van), ....

Honestly, it's not so much the lease purchase part, but Western Express.....

Whatever, good luck, something tells me, you'll need it.....

HalpinUout and fisher guy Thank this.
  4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    This guy has been told about Western on another thread and his answer was "I have to try it for myself" So with that being said all anyone can do is wish him best of luck

With less than a year experience and making $1.05 Plus fsc, and no business plan what could go wrong?

5. UpstateFreight

UpstateFreight Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Potsdam,Ny
    Yes, I did research the "company". I read countless threads on WSX. I've also read reviews on other websites, I've found a mix of both OK reviews and bad. But, that's with any company. I think the only company I've never really read anything too negative about is Sammons. But, I've also spoke with a few lease operators at truck stops from WSX they seem to be happy with how's things are going for them. Plus, I live in upstate NY and not many companies hire from where I live.
    Now, do I expect to get rich leasing from them? Lol, no not by a long shot. Do I expect to be making more then I was making as a company driver at my last job. Absolutely, coming from .25cpm to $1.05 a mile even after payments I will be netting substantially more then I was with the last carrier I was employed with. If after all is said and done if I bring home at least $1200 a week I'll be happy. I don't have a family, a car note or a mortgage. I have a $150 a month cell phone bill and my expenses on the road, that's it.
    I plan to stay out for 3 weeks at a time and take 3 days off. I feel that most lease operators fail due to taking too much home time and refusing too many loads.

6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Care to share your model that leads you to believe that you will pull $1200 a week?

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  7. fisher guy

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    man you can do 1200 a week at just about any company i did that running regional hauling trash at 25% and i was just starting out with no OTR expierence just gotta know where to look

8. UpstateFreight

Mar 8, 2016
    Potsdam,Ny
    Geographically I live in anew area where the job opportunities are slim pickings. Like 80% of the companies I could find that do hire out of my area want two years otr. Plus I got tired of pulling vans at 25cpm all around the northeast getting like 1300 miles a week. I know just about everyone on this site talks bad out WSX and lease. But, the lease drivers I've talked too all seem to be happy with what they're doing. I've only met a couple company drivers that are happy at WSX. And they were pulling dry van NE regional.
    I sign my contract tomorrow I'll post an update at the end of the day.

9. fisher guy

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    hey man i live central florida which we all know is the worst place geographically for trucking we got a kid at our a company 19 years old no joke make 12.00 an hour running a daycab home every night dump trailer the company is #### the pay is #### but is average for a dump trailer here but he still averages 53 hours a week thats 714 a week before taxes after overtime not great but considering hes only 19 home every night and doesnt kill himself that aint bad money. i used to live up in massachusetts north shore hauling trash i had no OTR exp i was like 22 when i started i got a nice company KW W9l and i averaged 1200-1400 a week it can be done just stick to the smaller companies forget the big timers find a small o/o with 1-5 trucks they will usually more then likely try you out. they tend to like someone that they can mold in to there own image and theres nothing wrong with that as long as you use due diligence. number 1 piece of advice forget pulling van. there isnt any money in it stick to something like skateboard which turns in to heavy haul as you gain more exp (big bucks) dump wagons, trash wagons big money in upstate new york, logging. dry van is about the bottom of the barrel as you can get for freight.

UpstateFreight Thanks this.
  10. UpstateFreight

Mar 8, 2016
    Potsdam,Ny
    I'm gonna stick out this flatbed gig and get some experience and try to learn as much as I can about it and hopefully work into heavy haul in a few years. And yeah central Florida is pretty tough to get a trucking gig, it's kinda like that where I live in upstate NY. And when I say upstate I don't mean Syracuse, I'm talking port of entry to Cornwall, upstate. We still had snow on the ground in the woods three weeks ago. I'm highly considering relocating down near Buffalo in a couple years.

11. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Honestly, in this situation he can probably make it... No bills at home, no wife, can literally live in the truck, etc. Wish you the best! If you want to prove the doomsday crowd wrong, stay afloat and post your weekly settlements till your truck is paid off.

UpstateFreight Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.