Western Express Flatbed Lease

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by UpstateFreight, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Koltrucker

Koltrucker Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2016
    This forum is quiet...you still rolling big guy...

UpstateFreight Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UpstateFreight

UpstateFreight Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Potsdam,Ny
    I'm here to say that I have left Western. Nothing to do with quality, or Western. I enjoyed my time there and I was quite happy with them. I made money every week except for the last few before I turned my truck into quality. I had some medical issues which forced me to get off the road. Nothing permanently disqualifying though. I had pnemonia and was down for almost 4 weeks. I went back about on the road and couldn't quite catch up with my payments. I'm still having tightness in my chest, but I'm hoping to get back on the road in a couple for weeks. I'm looking at some other options for flatbed in the Northeast. Not looking for a lease purchase, just a decent company driver job. Was talking with Knight about a new dedicated account they are running for SAPA. I've called TMC but they aren't hiring out of my area. I'm highly thinking about Gypsum Express since they are so close to my hometown. About 150 miles door to door. Worst comes to worst I'll just hual milk and be home every night lol. Any ideas on good companies hiring in the northeast would be appreciated!

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    If not being able to work for 30 days put him behind on payments a guy is either blowing his money, or being paid way too little. To be so far behind that catching up isn't possible...well those settlement checks must of been awfully thin.

Boils down to one of 3 things.
    1: a guy can't manage his money.
    2: truck expenses ridiculously high.
    3: extremely cheap rates

If 1, it's a problem with the individual.
    If 2, is a problem with a horrible lease purchase contact.
    If 3, it's a problem with the carrier.

My bet it's a combination of 2 and 3. Another case of of why lease purchase have gotten the nickname flease purchase.

5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok first off I do not drive anymore. I just missed 3 weeks of work because of pneumonia and had absolutely no money problems. I worked with pneumonia for 1.5 months. Now I did work in 50 degree conditions but had to suck it up and keep going.

My point is things happen. What if something went wrong on the truck and you have to come out of your pocket with it. It doesn't appear that you couldn't do that either. If you pretty much lived on the road where did all your money go?

6. JJDrivesOTR

JJDrivesOTR Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    For some of us, its a chance to start over. After my experience at Raider Express, I couldn't find a OTR company to take a chance on me. I called FFE and they had the nerve to tell me that I am in essence, what recruiters like to call damaged goods and it would be very hard for me to get a job again.

Transport America suggested I go back to school and see if that route works. I already have my CDL, why would I need to return to school and what is going back through school going to be? a magic pill that gets the stink of Raider Express off of me???

Some of the threads about Western Express are eye openers and for many of us who need an opportunity, we can overlook things and when we get experience, we move on.

For me, I like the idea of being my own boss and in essence, we are owning our own trucking company. For many of us, to come up with a huge down payment for a good piece of equipment will never happen unless we win the lottery, so for me, this program works and for others, I am guessing the same.

DudleyBoyNC and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    That's why you save and then buy your own truck! You don't own the truck you are leasing so how are you your own boss? You can't pull freight wherever you want and your destiny lies with your DM! Explain this to a young'n like me!

8. JJDrivesOTR

Jul 15, 2016
    KaoMinerva,
    First off, good questions and I will do my best to answer them. I would hope that your pessimism about Western Express is not based upon what you have heard from a few people that think they can speak for every driver out there.

The average down payment for a good truck is in the neighborhood of $10,000.00 and in this day and age, it is not easy to save a dollar, so to save 10,000 of them is not easy.

Secondly, most of these trucking companies offer a lease program, where you pay for a truck that you will never own, no matter how hard you work.

Western Expresses program is a lease to own program. Under this business model, there really is no difference between a loan and a lease to own. A loan, you can't walk away from, a lease to own, you can. A qualified driver can get into a 2016 Freightliner Cascadia for zero down and no credit check, and mileage rates of around 1.85 to 3.00 a mile.

I will use my previous experience as a company driver to make a point. When I was with Raider Express as a company driver, I was making .32 cents per mile. I was running 2800 to 3100 miles per week, so my gross income was $896.00 a week average. I was running hard miles for no real money.

Under Westerns freight rates of $1.85 and I will use this because I doubt $3.00 a mile is on a regular basis and doesn't come without me having to give up something. Using the numbers just mentioned, that is $5,180.00 before expenses.

If expenses and taxes, etc are at 70%, then my weekly take home would be $1554.00. Big difference in pay. This program works for me, it may not be good for you and regarding hauling freight wherever I want, here is my take on that.

There are many owner operators who get to do that and go broke, because they have zero businesses doing that. This is a business and there are certain skillsets you need to do well in order to survive.

9. JJDrivesOTR

Jul 15, 2016
    Bro, I'm sorry to hear this, hope all is well.

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Jaw healed eating again and all but a longe few months!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.