What could I do better?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by joesmoothdog, Oct 6, 2015.

1. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    Had an issue with a four wheeler this afternoon. Emptied out at a bottle receiver near Miller in Trenton, OH with a dh for a pu tmro off 74 in IN. GPS routed me through a town that at a red light (me in right lane) had a to left lane merge about 100 feet past the intersection. I cross the intersection and immediately put on signal to left. 3 4wheelers dart past and then I have gap. I roll in at about 8-12 mph. 6th gear. I'm mt. My nose is in and the parallel parkers are in my bail out. In my rear view I see SUV drop its ### end and punch. Nowhere for me to go. I roll on. SUV throws dramatic bailout. I roll to next light in 35 mph zone. Lady pulls next to me and starts to freak. I shake my head and break eye contact. She darts in front and starts brake checking game. Speed limit drops to 25. I ignore her but note she's on the phone. Roll about 4 miles at 5 under 25-35 mph. Get to major intersection and see a cop at the light. Cop makes eye contact. Mmmhmm. I get pulled. Cop walks up hand on gun while I'm standing on step. She says I tried to run lady off road. I tell her what I wrote here than said. Big truck Big trailer. Not exactly a getaway car. She laughs and says have a good and safe day driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Could have done better by buying the officer lady a donut and a date!

joesmoothdog Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Hard to know exactly the situation and how the events fell into place. Each similar situation can have perhaps 3-6 different ways to handle it, some may be "right" some may be "wrong" and this is also dependent on how an individual executes a given choice. So, I would say it would be upon you to re-run the event in your mental simulator and decide for yourself if you'd do anything different next time, given the same situation and events.

5. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I hope you explained it better to the cop because I'm confused

[​IMG]

6. joesmoothdog

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    LOL!!! I hope she was a she. I was guessing. She was nice though.[​IMG]
    Forgot to mention it was one lane road.

HorseShoe and otherhalftw Thank this.
  7. joesmoothdog

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    Unfortunately, hindsight is 20-20.

8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I put on my turn signal, they get 3 courtesy blinks-then I'm coming over.
    So I get the finger, O MY!!
    They have better braking & acceleration than I do, it's easier for them to manage their way through traffic.

9. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Exactly. My signal is telling you I'm coming over, not asking!

10. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    were there 2 left turning lanes?

or

was there only one lane to go either straight or left.?

if only one lane to make the left turn, you should have been in the left lane. by you being in the right lane, you made people think you were either going to go right, or straight.

but then, i maybe be as confused as my comrade.

11. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    if you are coming over, are you bringing the beer, or is this yet another cheapo visit..???

Bobble and lots of character Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.