What do you carry every day?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ShooterK2, Dec 27, 2014.

1. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    What do you carry every day? I'm not talking about freight, and I'm not talking about your lucky tire thumper or that 1940's 9/16" wrench your grandpappy (who was also a trucker) passed down to you for adjusting brakes. Although those things are cool (to you), I'm talking about ON YOUR PERSON, IN YOUR POCKETS, NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT, stuff.

I've posted this in the "experienced truckers" section because that is who I look forward to hearing from the most. I'm certainly not opposed to learning something new from someone with more/different experience than myself.

I'll start:

I should preface this by saying that I'm the boots-and-jeans wearing type. Not so much cowboy style, but I always have my Red Wing work boots, jeans (mostly Wranglers), and a T-shirt (usually with my company logo and my name) with some type of undershirt, and a ball cap. And this time of year, I will usually have a jacket on when outside.

I never go anywhere without my wallet, which contains some cash, a debit card, my CDL, medical card, and a couple of other cards.

I also carry my Kershaw pocket knife. Never a day goes by that I don't use it at least a few times. For years, I didn't carry a knife, because the only ones I had ever owned were cheap, thick, heavy, and too cumbersome to be comfortable with in my pocket all the time. Then I decided to actually spend a few bucks and get a decent knife (nothing exotic), and it made all the difference. I have it on me all the time, forget it's there until I need it, and, man, is that thing useful! I don't know how I got by all those years without it.

As as much as I hate to admit it, I, like most other humans in the modern world, carry a smart phone. We could all go into a lot of detail in this area, but I'll just leave it at that. It's my "necessary evil," if you will.

Sunglasses. Unless it's dark, I will have my sunglasses on. If I go inside a store or other building, I just prop them on my ball cap. But I can't stand to be out in daylight without them. Squinting all day is for the birds.

This last one is for winter only, but in my inside coat pocket is a tube of chap stick. Now, there really is no manly way of applying it, so I just make sure no one is around. But, chapped lips (much like squinting all day) are for the birds.

Ok TTR, your turn. What do you carry with you every day?

SheepDog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Shooter, great question. I too have always taken a knife, but a mini-Leatherman type, with a small pliers, screwdivers, file, etc. Nothing big, as I don't like bulky things in my pockets either. ALWAYS carry a credit card of some kind. It may get you out of a jam, and you can contest it later, with a debit card, your money is gone. Smarty-pants phone is cool. Today, the world runs on cell phones, and you are at a disadvantage if you don't have one( a basic cell phone is all I have). Also, a small tool kit. Doesn't have to be a big rollaway cabinet, but just the basics, WD-40 (or equivalent), flashlight, extra batteries, basic tools. A vice grips, bigger screwdrivers. Clothes, get a pair of cover-alls, you never know when you may have a dirty job that will ruin your clothes, and of course, an extra blanket. A small first-aid kit, bandages, anti-bacterial lotion for cuts, keep it simple. Hope this helps.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Subcompact Springfield XD 40 cal

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Super glue and always leave a good stream of it on commode seats and door handles. Sometimes leave a stream of super glue on those plastic utensils at the salad bar then have fun watching some truck driver walking around screaming profanities with a big plastic spoon stuck to his hand.

7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
  8. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    sorry! I don't like to spread around whats in my pockets, On the clothing part, pretty much the same, but I wear sneakers

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    My brilliant, beautiful mind :biggrin_25522: ...

I bought a small, pocket-sized crescent wrench about 20 some-odd years ago and put it in my pocket because I needed it for a project I was busy working on. Never been a day since I did not have it in my pocket, since. I rarely use it anymore but it's automatic that it be with me

10. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Extra set of keys to the truck...everything else stays on passenger seat in a computer bag...get what I need when I need it...then put it back. Have a bad habit losing stuff.

11. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    the only two things that I absolutely have to have on me is an extra key to the truck and my wallet. anything else is optional

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.